Principal Engineer Remote /
As a Principal Engineer, you will not only design and build Citrine’s scalable smart data infrastructure and AI platform powering the development and discovery of next-generation materials and chemicals, but also play a key role as a mentor to our talented team of developers.
At Citrine, we’re ushering in the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals.
We are the industry leader in AI for materials and chemicals. Our platform provides data management and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools that help our customers rapidly develop higher performing, more sustainable materials. Our users are scientists and engineers at market-leading manufacturing and materials companies and we collaborate with professors and researchers from world-renowned institutions on cutting-edge research at the intersection of AI and the physical sciences.
In 2019 and 2020, Citrine was recognized for our impact on sustainability by the Global CleanTech Group and was named one of the Most Promising AI Startups by CB Insights. As a team, we are ambitious with our goals, passionate about our vision, and eager to grow and learn from each other. Our team is growing fast and looking for the best to join us.
Our Platform gives product developers, researchers, and engineers access to cutting-edge, domain-specific AI, all without writing a line of code. This enables our customers to discover and deploy the next generation of sustainable, high-performing materials and chemicals up to 98% faster than traditional R&D approaches. We have clusters of remote employees in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Raleigh-Durham areas, and our customers include multiple Fortune 100 materials, product, and manufacturing companies.
About the Role
Working on the AI and Data Science teams in Engineering at Citrine offers the rare opportunity to collaborate with applied scientists at the leading edge of statistical learning theory and application. Here are a few representative peer-reviewed publications describing research done at Citrine in support of the platform’s AI capabilities:
Assessing the Frontier: Active Learning, Model Accuracy, and Multi-objective Materials Discovery and Optimization (2019). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1911.03224
Can machine learning identify the next high-temperature superconductor? Examining extrapolation performance for materials discovery (2018). at https://doi.org/10.1039/C8ME00012C
Overcoming data scarcity with transfer learning. (2017). at https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05099
High-Dimensional Materials and Process Optimization Using Data-Driven Experimental Design with Well-Calibrated Uncertainty Estimates. (2017). at https://doi.org/10.1007/s40192-017-0098-z
Projects You'll Work On
- The next-generation platform for empowering scientists with Citrine’s AI, guiding experimental design to accelerate discovery and lead to research breakthroughs.
- A system for sharing and managing materials data across an enterprise’s researchers, with the goal of fostering collaboration between scientists, reducing experimental waste, and aiding in the management of R&D projects.
- Complex analysis & visualizations that allow our users to gain deeper insights into their data.
What You'll Do
- Build backend services to support product features on the Citrine Platform that puts our core technology in the hands of scientists
- Deploy and support your software & infrastructure in production
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, frequently reviewing code and discussing architecture
- Mentor other developers
- Design high-performance, scalable systems
- Test and analyze the impact and performance of your software
- Work in a multi-functional team on features from concept to delivery
- Scala, Python
- Swagger/OpenAPI 3
- Akka HTTP, Slick
- AWS Computer Services (EC2, ECS, Fargate, Batch)
Skills and Qualifications
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field of study, or equivalent industry experience
- 8 years of experience writing production software on the JVM, with 2 years of Scala
- Experience building backend web services
- Experience planning and delivering complex, long-term projects
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Familiarity with Akka HTTP, Slick, and basic functional programming
- Familiarity with containerization / DockerExperience with AWS
- Experience with production monitoring systems such as DataDog
- Experience deploying ML models to production environments
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin.
Our Core Values
Citrine Informatics recognizes that its most valuable asset is its people. We have created our set of Core Values to encourage, support, and invest in our team as they work to innovate and support a more sustainable world. Our Core Values reflect our ongoing commitment to continuously invest in nurturing our talent and our people-first approach to conducting business.
- We take pride in and recognize the successes and growth of ourselves and our colleagues. We support each other in our growth.
- We prototype and collect data to make good decisions. We question that data and are constantly iterating to find the best solution.
- We are all owners of Citrine and make decisions like owners. We work autonomously with personal and organizational accountability.
- We commit to building a diverse and inclusive community within Citrine and actively promote equity and belonging.
- We are tirelessly committed to creating value for our customers.
- We exist to help our customers accelerate the development of sustainable products that are critical to the future of both our planet and our industry.
Compensation and Pay Transparency
At Citrine, we want your path to career growth to be transparent, straightforward, fair, and easily accessible -- starting with your application and interview process. The annual salary range listed below reflects the level we are considering for this position (please note that there may be unique situations where you may fall outside of this range). Where you fall within the range will depend on how your experience and skills align to our internal leveling system as we learn more about you throughout the interview process.
$160,000 USD - $182,500 USD
*Range(s) listed are for full-time employees based in the United States only.
**Colorado only: disclosure above meets the requirement by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Our Benefits (for exempt, full-time employees based within the United States)
401k with matching up to 4% of salary
Medical, vision, dental insurance (we pay 100% of your premium and 75% of your dependents)
FSA and HSA plans
Flexible PTO on top of our 15 paid company holidays (includes your birthday!)
Free financial counseling
$600 onboarding tech allowance
$5,000 annual professional growth budget