Principal Engineer, Developer Publishing Platform United States
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as the Principal Software Engineer for the Developer Publishing Platform at Twilio.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supports diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to serve as the technical architect for the web application powering Twilio’s most critical developer experiences, including API documentation and technical tutorials. Serving alongside developer evangelists, developer educators, and other technical content creators, you will build a web app used by millions of developers every year. You will innovate in the presentation, performance, and user experience of developer documentation. You will ensure that developers always find the right content on our website by optimizing for search. You will drive operational excellence for a critical piece of web infrastructure at Twilio. As an experienced, multiple-hat-wearing, product-focused hacker, you will employ a variety of technical and non-technical skills to create industry-leading developer experiences.
In this role, you will:
- Become the chief architect and tech lead for the web application serving twilio.com/docs and other web-based developer experiences
- Mentor and direct a distributed team of engineers working on the publishing platform
- Collaborate with subject matter experts, fellow developers, and internal stakeholders to turn business goals and creative ideas into a roadmap to deliver great developer experiences
- Create world-class tooling for technical content creators, so they can spend more time writing and collaborating, and less time wrestling their content to work well on the website
- Drive operational excellence for the publishing platform application, maintaining robust uptime and enabling continuous delivery
- Work with content and SEO experts to ensure that our website is built for performance and usability from search
- Engage with end users and the broader developer community to learn how our documentation, tutorials, and technical content can best serve them
- Propose and implement new ideas to advance the state of the art in developer documentation and web-based developer tools
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 7+ years of experience as a technical leader on web development projects
- Experience mentoring and providing technical leadership to developer teams
- Experience interfacing with business stakeholders, and translating business requirements into software solutions
- Experience navigating and understanding a large scale software architecture, and understanding how pieces fit together in a distributed system
- Experience building and supporting web applications that operate at scale
- Experience supporting mission-critical web applications and infrastructure
- Comfortable asking questions and taking initiative to solve problems in a rapidly growing company, where it is often necessary to “draw the owl”
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated commitment to seeking diverse viewpoints, and acting with intention to create an inclusive team environment
- Experience building Python web applications
- Experience with the Django web framework
- Experience building and deploying APIs with Django REST framework
- Experience with the Wagtail CMS
- Experience managing AWS web infrastructure
- Experience building products for a developer audience
- Track record of open source contribution
This role will be fully remote. Approximately 10% travel is possible, depending on your location, safety concerns, and comfort level with travel
What we offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including things like competitive pay, generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well. The information below is provided for those hired in Colorado only.
*If you are a Colorado applicant:
The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $127,960 - $182,800
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3755867