Principal Data Scientist United States
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for a Principal Machine Learning Engineer who wants to design, build, and deploy machine learning systems into the real world and help Twilio power its growth initiatives. You are eager to learn and inspire, and you like to think at scale and work on real world products and problems. You bring a focus on efficient experimentation, team collaboration, large-scale systems design, and good first-principles engineering. You deal with ambiguity effectively and are able to bring clarity in requirements and technical solutions. You are a technical lead for other MLEs on the team and partner effectively with product managers and other cross function groups. This is a good opportunity to influence and contribute to early stage product development and harness the power of machine learning for highly visible initiatives.
Ideal candidates would have the following:
- A Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics or Statistics.
- Strong background in the foundations of machine learning - depth in Regression, Classification, KNN, RFM, DNN, SVM and Naive Bayes.
- 7+ years of hands-on experience with one of Python, C/C++ or Java/Scala
- Strong fundamentals in Systems Design and Computer Science
- Exposure to Big Data technologies(spark/hadoop) and Microservices Architecture
- Exposure to different ML frameworks and services like Sagemaker, Clarify, Model Monitoring, TensorFlow, MxNet, PyTorch, Skitlearn etc.
- Track record of building, shipping and maintaining machine learning models in a highly ambiguous and fast paced environment.
- Track record of defining new data science techniques and best practices that improve the ML model performance
- Track record of designing and architecting large scale experiments and analysis which impact multiple teams and adjacent focus areas
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work with other engineering teams and with members of the product organisation to distill internal and customer needs into requirements and tech specs.
- DRAW THE OWL: Build new features without having all of the answers.
- BE AN OWNER: Architect new systems with a focus on scalability, testability, and maintainability.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Help resolve technical issues and blockers for internal and external customers.
- DON’T SETTLE: Drive high engineering standards on the team through code review, automated testing, and mentoring. We care what our code looks like, and you should too.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Collaborate with colleagues on a small, energetic team.
The Growth Automation pillar is building a new platform to provide a one-stop shop for marketers to build delightful, personalized customer experiences across any channel based on a single view of the customer. Orchestrate a customer journey and send emails, SMS, push notifications, voice, video, whatsapp, onsite personalization - any channel that the customer prefers most with a relevant message they actually want to see. Our team’s goal is to help Twilio-Segment customers understand, aid, and delight their customers across every first party touchpoint and interaction.
Growth Automation is being built on top of the most sophisticated first party customer data platform in the world. Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands of messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed, realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform: Segment Audiences for real time audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for real time personalization. We are now personalizing customer engagement by transforming raw customer data across all channels into actionable, individualized customer predictions that you can leverage in any workflow or process.
This position will be located remotely in North America. Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$146.240 - $201,080
Rest of Colorado:
$127.960 - $175,945
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3535517