Platform Engineer - VMWare (100% remote) Worldwide
Company: Giant Swarm
We are looking for a Platform Engineer for Containers
Giant Swarm is a fast-growing open-source infrastructure management platform used by modern enterprises. Our vision is to empower developers around the world to ship great products.
We're a distributed, diverse, and growing team, spread across Europe. The company is based in Cologne, Germany, where we have a small office in a coworking space. However, only a few people work there. All workflows are created to function remotely - but of course, if you want to visit Cologne, you are more than welcome!
While we are remote-first, we appreciate quality time with our co-workers, so we meet in person twice a year to work and have fun together.
- Flexible working hours, and working from home or anywhere you prefer but please note that your permanent location should be somewhere in Europe.
- Currently, the number of kids from our team members outnumbers the number of employees.
- We don’t only care about the kids “within” the company, but also about all children - for example, we compensate the carbon of all our flights.
- As an international company, we want to create similar standards for everyone, regardless of location. So, additional perks (for example, a location-aware, fixed amount paid each month to cover costs like co-working, phone contracts or gym memberships), paid parental leave and healthcare compensation are compulsory.
- You will be responsible for architecting and building distributed systems
- You will use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- You take part in testing, metrics, continuous integration
- You have experience with more than one language and a strong architectural background. One of these languages is Go.
- You love to automate things and you are used to deploying in production multiple times a day
- You are a profound Linux user
- You have worked with Docker - experiences with Kubernetes, Prometheus are a bonus point
- You have technical knowledge of and hands-on experience with VMware technologies such as ESXi, NSX, and vSAN
- You are able to configure and manage our VMware infrastructure and you have excellent troubleshooting skills related to VMware technologies
- You prefer to build your applications as multiple services instead of a monolith
- You know the concepts of CAP theorem, Paxos/raft consensus, distributed databases and message passing
- We (and our customers) are currently mostly distributed around Europe (around UTC), thus, your main timezone should be somewhere between -2UTC to +2UTC to ensure better communication.
- We are very active in the K8s space. If you are as well or you just love giving talks that will be the perfect addition to your profile.
Why we think this job is worth applying for (challenge us!)
Impact, Impact, Impact! We are a remote-first organization with a growing team from 15+ European countries. Every new team member changes the team. This is great! People who know things we don’t are highly welcome.
“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission” (Grace Hopper) - sure, it’s not 100% like this, but we have a strong culture of failure which, is part of our agile mindset. We don’t do things like in the guidebook. You can try things out! Our default to 100% transparency will help you here.
We play a key role in our customers' digital transformation. We have partnered up with Amazon and Microsoft to provide our solution on their cloud platforms - more will follow.
We have been in this ecosystem from the get-go and as part of the CNCF family, we feel at home in the community. As a part of Giant Swarm, you will also join this extended family.
We serve some of Europe's leading organizations and are talking to many more.
WHY Giant Swarm?
We like to give you a glimpse on how working with is like:
Creative work needs freedom and openness. We encourage you to do your work wherever and whenever you want. We expect passion and encourage sustainability. If you need rest, take it. We don't count holidays - but we are also aware that this combined with remote work can also lead to working too much. So we encourage you to take holidays and help you to manage the freedom and flexibility.
We are a growing company with team members distributed all over Europe and plans on expanding to the US. Our ambitious goals are only achievable as a team. Everybody’s input is highly welcome and appreciated. Although sometimes rules and processes are necessary, we try to keep them as lean as possible. Always question the status quo and find new ways of collaboration and teamwork.
Learning is mandatory and fun at the same time. If you realize you want to expand your knowledge in a specific area, we support you with conferences, books etc.
We offer fair (transparent and open) salaries with benefits like choosing your own laptop, additional perks (for example, a location-aware, fixed amount paid each month to cover costs like co-working, phone contracts or gym memberships), paid parental leave and healthcare compensation are compulsory. And you will participate in our stock options program. Currently, our team members have more children than we are employees. So family-friendliness is a must.
We are not hiring job descriptions. We hire humans. :) We welcome applications from everybody, regardless ethnic or national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or age.