Patent/Open Source Counsel United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Patent/Open Source Counsel to hone and drive our patent and open source strategy. This role will be primarily focused on patent matters and managing open source issues. The role will also involve IP licensing, copyright, and IP diligence/integration for M&A activities. Reporting to the Principal Counsel, IP, this position will work closely with the engineering, product, corporate development, and integration teams.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of managing patent and open source matters. They also have:
- Due to the expectations of the role, we require a J.D. with strong academic credentials and 4+ years demonstrated record of success as a lawyer, licensed by the USPTO, and eligible to practice law
- BS or MS in computer science or equivalent technical experience is also highly preferred.
- Experience with patent prosecution in SaaS, cloud platforms, and/or telecommunications technologies.
- Experience advising on or managing open source issues.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach.
- Ability to appropriately triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Good sense of humor, interest for learning new things and desire to get things done.
As a Patent/Open Source Counsel, you will live the following Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Co-lead Twilio’s Patent Committee in developing and executing on Twilio’s patent strategy; engage with our engineering and product teams to mine and protect inventions and help lead the prosecution and management of US and foreign patent applications; and support Twilio’s open source program.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Develop and manage policies for both the use and release of open source material and counsel on open source licensing and compliance.
- DON’T SETTLE: Assist in M&A due diligence and the review of intellectual property provisions in M&A and commercial agreements
- DRAW THE OWL: Implement a program to acquire patents to supplement organically developed patent portfolios.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Work on technology transactions, standards bodies, and patent strategy organizations.
This is a critical role on Twilio’s growing legal team. You will be a go-to legal resource for all Twilio employees developing or engaging with our patent portfolio and open source usage and you will be an evangelist on the importance of protecting our intellectual property. You will work closely with our engineering and product leadership who are developing Twilio’s latest innovations. You will also use your expert knowledge to support other members of the team, including on commercial and M&A transactions.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2350776