Network Engineer, L4 United States
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Staff, Network Engineer (L4) to be an integral part of the Email Infrastructure team. Among other responsibilities, this team is responsible for the engineering, automation, and scaling of our networks. It is imperative that you are energized by the challenges arising from providing network service to data centers, distributed systems, and cloud deployments. In this role, engineers will design, build, and support on-premise cloud native network deployments including the creation of our next-generation load balancing service. This will require experience in building and operating application delivery networks for scalability, reliability, and security.
Twilio is looking for a team player who lives the Twilio Magic and has a strong passion for operating, designing, building, and scaling networks. They also have:
- An understanding of computer science fundamentals and practical experience developing distributed systems.
- 5+ years experience developing software to manage the data center, cloud, or network infrastructure
- Experience using configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack, etc., or orchestration tools like Kubernetes.
- Experience creating declarative APIs to manage physical infrastructure.
- Experience supporting production networks
- Experience in IP switching, routing, and firewalls
- In-depth understanding of communication protocols (TCP/IP) and application layer routing.
- Experience with load balancing technologies such as HAProxy and NGINX.
- Passionate. Persistent. Creative. You find clever ways around problems or just plow through them. Sharp analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work independently and with remote teams
- Experience resolving network incidents in a mission-critical 24/7 network environment.
As a Staff, Network Engineer (L4), you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WRITE IT DOWN: Write excellent documentation that empowers others to build off of your ideas.
- DRAW THE OWL: Design L7 networking solutions that support the only messaging service operating at our scale.
- BE AN OWNER: Face the most pressing problems head-on by creating solutions that benefit our customers in the long term.
- BE BOLD: Question our technologies, designs and processes. Then provide a path to doing it better.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Teach others to scale their applications using load balancing best practices.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Communicate clearly within the team, and raise concerns when seen.
The Network Engineering team provides resilient/redundant connectivity and quality features/capabilities to support the performance of API-driven services that our customers rely on to “just work”. The team is the highest escalation point for all network-related topics (design, architecture, traffic engineering, capacity management, incidents, interconnection management, datacenter engineering & deployments, service management) and provides support to all delivery teams that rely on these technologies to serve our end customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our office at 1801 California Street Suite 500 Denver, CO 80202 or Remote. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $116,688-$145,860
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides the support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3424596