Manager, Trust and Safety (Disinformation) Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
MANAGER, TRUST AND SAFETY (DISINFORMATION)
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a Manager, Trust & Safety Disinformation to join the Legal department to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge; as well as its strategic direction - that by 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
The Manager, Trust & Safety Disinformation will report to the Global Head of Trust and Safety. As part of its investment in the sustainability and well-being of its volunteer online communities, the Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a talented Manager who is able to guide the organization’s T&S disinformation operations team and take on individual cases and project initiatives of strategic importance. Disinformation is the deliberate spread of false or misleading information with an intent to deceive; the Wikimedia movement relies on an international network of volunteers to create, curate, and monitor content on its projects. The T&S Disinformation team has been constituted in recognition by the Foundation of the increasing importance of organizational responses to organized disinformation campaigns which may overwhelm community resources or constitute a danger to volunteers.
The T&S teams put a strong focus on in-depth investigations, resilient operations capabilities, and continuous process improvements. This position will be responsible for shaping and overseeing the daily operations of the T&S Disinformation team while working in partnership with the Senior Trust & Safety Operations Manager and the wider Trust & Safety management team to identify areas of challenge in the organization’s overall knowledge integrity posture and work to identify and implement solutions through collaboration with communities and appropriate staff.
As the Manager, T&S Disinformation you will need a good understanding of how to shape thriving online communities, T&S industry best practices, especially in countering disinformation challenges, and law enforcement relationships. To address these complex problems, you will have to understand the technical possibilities as well as social norms and how to work with volunteers from disparate backgrounds to encourage building a culture of high behavioral expectations and excellent peer enforcement thereof. You will be the primary point person for Trust & Safety’s disinformation operations and its performance in close partnership with community stakeholders. You are a talented manager and are able to creatively solve a wide range of challenges. You will exercise good judgment in determining the most appropriate method, technique and/or priorities for achieving operative excellence and efficacy.
You are responsible for:
- Overseeing and refining trust and safety processes surrounding protecting the platform against disinformation campaigns and processing appropriately escalated disinformation incidents, including liaising with law enforcement officials and outside stakeholders as necessary.
- Leading the trust & safety disinformation team in investigating and resolving appropriately scoped disinformation matters; mentor, motivate, and support their continuous professional development
- Operating the disinformation investigations process and accountability for the related KPIs.
- Collaborating closely with the Foundation-wide Disinformation program and implement operative trust and safety changes decided by that group.
- Collaborating closely with other Trust & Safety staff in evaluating, processing and appropriately escalating inappropriate content and threats against the safety of volunteers or the public. This work involves coordinating with other staff in team rotation to ensure 24/7 coverage for emergencies. This work may include evaluating threats of self-violence or terrorism, or processing inappropriate imagery, including imagery involving minors.
- Collaborating closely with the wider Trust and Safety team, Wikimedia Foundation’s legal team, and key Wikimedia functionaries in areas related to Trust & Safety.
- Implementing and enforcing Wikimedia Foundation bans related to trust & safety.
- Managing and designing tools to maximise efficient management of trust & safety related concerns.
- Exploring and implementing best practices in disinformation and trust & safety management by reviewing activities in other organizations, online and off, and engaging other trust & safety officers.
- Communicating with key stakeholders in a precise, detailed or high-level communication style, depending on the needs of the organization and community.
- Working collaboratively with Wikimedia project contributors and users intensively and, when appropriate, publicly.
- Providing for the assignment, return, and regular audit of staff’s use of restricted privileges.
- Performing other duties as required.
Skills and Experience:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Direct experience for 2+ years managing teams and desire to help others learn and grow
- Proven experience effectively managing multiple KPI's, projects, and initiatives in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to synthesize complex topics and create compelling narratives for various audiences
- Strong data background; highly proficient pulling/synthesizing data and identifying trends, causation, correlation, etc (high level SQL preferred)
- Experience with disinformation challenges in large platform environments
- Experience working in a global organization that has a distributed workforce
- Understanding of both social and technical approaches to support enhancing community interactions and dynamics
- Experience working in collaboration with civil society and academic institutions
- Ability to effectively partner with multiple levels
- Ability to identify effective solutions to complex problems and function well in ambiguity
- Ability to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience in dealing with difficult subject matters
- Flexibility in working hours to respond to unanticipated situations, with a willingness to work nights, weekends, or holidays when necessary and a regular ability to meet within UTC-8 business hours
- A compassionate human-driven approach
- Detail-oriented; the ability to coordinate multiple moving parts in high stakes complex problem-solving environments
Additionally, we would love you to have:
- Experience with free knowledge/open source communities
- Intellectually curious; a level of openness to collaboration and new ideas
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Command of additional languages, especially Hindi, Arabic, Farsi, Russian or Spanish, is seen as a plus.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3376415