Manager, Software Engineering -Marketing Applications Platform United States
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key member of our Marketing Applications Platform Engineering team. You’ll work with a passionate, versatile, and collaborative team, tackling tough problems as we continue to develop an intuitive product that allows our customers to build, manage, and send their digital marketing communications. Additionally, you will also help us deliver solutions and build processes for a number of mission-critical systems, ensuring that Twilio is the leader in trusted communications.
As an Engineering Manager you will lead by guiding engineering teams tackling tough problems as we continue to push our technology forward. To take it to scale, you will oversee a complex distributed platform and will be concerned with availability, throughput, and latency by leveraging data to assess business performance and deliver actionable insights to improve efficiency and increase productivity. A successful candidate will be a self-starter, embody a growth mindset, collaborate effectively, be able to mentor junior engineers and operate highly resilient services.
Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic.. They also have:
- 7+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience and education
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in an engineering management role
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team.
- Strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- Ability to oversee the design and operation of complex components and large-scale systems
- Success at participating in cross-functional teams; naturally collaborative but decisive when needed
- Track record in building and sustaining high-performance teams
- Ability to manage multiple projects, teams, and schedules in a rapid-growth environment, to coordinate successful/timely releases and achieve quality objectives
- Strong influential and persuasion skills to manage Right vs Right Now engineering decisions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills enabling you to articulate complex, technical material to a non-technical audience
- Ability to lead through change effectively
- Experience working Marketing Technology Platforms (bonus)
As a Manager, Software Engineering, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER:Lead and grow a team of passionate engineers. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to junior engineers while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- DON’T SETTLE:Institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well-architected and supportable code.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects and other business stakeholders to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities.
- WRITE IT DOWN & RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Work in conjunction with our Agile Program Management team in breaking down roadblocks as well as managing communications with stakeholders and dependent teams. Create a culture of continuous improvement through retrospection.
- BE BOLD: As a member of the Engineering Management team, foster leadership principles and behaviors throughout the organization to groom the next generation of leaders.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent.
As a member of the Marketing Applications Platform team, you will be directly responsible for helping build our next-gen marketing communications products. With a constant focus on our users, we hope to deliver a new set of tools that will disrupt the marketing SAAS industry. You will get a chance to design and implement solutions that will provide marketers and developers alike with the tools they need to create personalized communication experiences for their customers. Twilio adds in the complexities of scale and distributed systems to keep things interesting and seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2310175