Manager, Data Engineering United States
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Manager, Data Engineering to be a key member of the Corporate Data Analytics & Infrastructure (CDaX) organization with the focus on data engineering services based in the USA (remote). You will be joining one of the teams of engineers developing a unified business data layer. You will design and build data platforms and services, while leading our data engineering team in cloud environments that fuels strategic business decisions across Twilio. You will partner with other engineers and product managers to translate data needs into critical information that can be used to implement scalable data platforms and self-service tools. We are looking for someone who is passionate about solving problems using engineering and data, thrives in an evolving environment, brings an enthusiastic and collaborative attitude, and delights in making a difference. As a successful candidate, you must have a deep background in data engineering and a proven track record of solving data problems at scale leveraging distributed data systems. You are a self-starter, embody a growth attitude, and can collaborate optimally across the entire Twilio organization.
Twilio is looking for an exceptional individual who lives Twilio Magic and has a proven track record in conceiving and delivering Data Warehouse solutions at company-wide scale.
- 8+ years of leading data engineering and experience in a fast paced company that delivers software, with the understanding of SDLC methodologies.
- Strong understanding of engineering methodologies, analytical and problem-solving , design principles and agile methods.
- A good understanding of designing and building highly scalable Data warehouses, Data pipelines, Data Modelling, designing Data Lakes and Big Data Analytics using NOsql, and programming languages (like Python, Java, Scala).
- Experience in building petabyte scale distributed systems using technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Snowflake, Presto, Redshift, Cassandra, MongoDB, Kafka and streaming. Databricks, Snowflake, Segmentation experience is desired.
- Excellent communication, collaborative demeanor and ability to work in distributed, multi-functional teams with the ability to articulate a point of view.
- Required to perform on-call duties in a data-ops / DRE environment.
- Bachelor's/Master’s degree in Computer Science required, or equivalent experience
As a Tech Lead, Data Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic and:
- Design, Develop and maintain scalable data pipelines and Data warehouse to support continuing increases in data volume and complexity.
- Develop set processes for analytics, data modelling, and data production.
- Collaborates with Data Architects and business teams to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility and fostering educated decision making across the organisation.
- Implements processes and systems to manage data quality, ensuring production data is always accurate and available for key partners and business processes that depend on it.
- Writes unit/integration tests, contributes to engineering wiki, and documents work.
- Performs data analysis required to solve data related issues and assist in the resolution of data issues.
- Works closely with a team of frontend and backend engineers, product managers, and analysts.
- Designs data integrations and data quality framework.
- Prepare accurate database design and architecture reports for management and Business teams.
- Execute the migration of data from legacy systems to new solutions.
- Manage the system performance by performing regular tests, solving problems and integrating new features.
- Recommend solutions to improve new and existing database systems.
- Educate staff members through training and individual support.
- Offer support by responding to system problems in a timely manner.
Be an owner
Design and implement data management services for data trust, data compliance, data access and metadata management in the form of scalable and configurable while clearly articulating technical rationale behind your design and implementation choices
Participate in Agile/Scrum activities including planning, standups, retrospectives; Provide point of view on user stories.
Wear the customer’s shoes
Partners with data architects, product managers and other engineers to ensure they have the right information about our services and platforms while ensuring happy customers.
Listen to your customers’ challenges, see opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time.
Write it down
Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication - ensure that sophisticated ideas, thoughts, and vision can be communicated simply and effectively. You are expected to thrive in a highly collaborative environment.
Draw the owl
You’ll build highly scalable platforms and services that support rapidly growing data needs in Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
CDaX (Corporate Data analytics & Infrastructure) is a central organization within Twilio that provides data infrastructure and related services in the form of data lake, data warehouse, business intelligence and data governance etc, that supports long term growth and sustainability. Our mission is to enable fact based decision-making by providing clean, governed, accurate data in scalable and easy to use systems in a timely manner. We play an integral role in shaping our business decisions that enable the company's growth and success and are the backbone of Twilio’s data driven culture.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed, and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located anywhere within the continental USA. This position offers flexibility to work remotely. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Denver/Boulder Metro: $146,240.00-$182,800.00
Rest of Colorado:$127,960.00-$159,950.00
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
$65 per month work-from-home stipend
Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
To comply with Executive Order 14042, all Twilio employees working in the U.S. are required to submit proof of vaccination for COVID-19 unless they qualify for a medical or religious accommodation / exemption. Employees onboarded after January 4, 2022 must submit proof of vaccination or receive approval for an exemption prior to their Twilio start date.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3518866