Linux Software Engineer, Weekend EMEA
Linux Software Engineer, Weekend
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
A Software Engineer in the Sustaining Engineering Group is key for the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu projects.
We have numerous job roles open in the following disciplines: kernel, Ubuntu server technologies, OpenStack, Kubernetes, storage (Ceph, Swift, xfs), Virtualization. Please apply if you fit some of the skills in key responsibilities.
You will help with troubleshooting and driving customer bugs to resolution by providing workarounds, guidance, and designing and authoring fixes to be released in Ubuntu and its supporting software packages.
Your role will provide sustaining engineering support for the full stack of Canonical’s products, including OpenStack, Kubernetes, as well as the Ubuntu user space and kernel.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Resolve complex problems related to the full stack of Canonical’s products including OpenStack, Kubernetes, Ubuntu server and kernel.
- Resolve complex problems in orchestration and deployment technologies including Juju, MAAS, Charms, Snaps and others.
- Maintain a close working relationship with Canonical's s Customer Engagement and Product Engineering teams.
- Analyse and participate in upstream development against current customer-reported bugs, developing and backporting patches as appropriate.
- Ability to identify and apply efficient problem solving techniques.
- Manage workload to ensure that customer issues are all timely handled and driven to resolution.
- Participate in team discussions and meetings to improve process, tools, and documentation.
- Maintain clear, concise and accurate technical documentation.
- Be able to travel internationally up to 10% of work time for team meetings, events and conferences.
The Successful Software Engineer will have:
- A minimum of 5+ years or equivalent experience as software engineer is required
- Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree is preferred
- Development experience, and deep architectural/internals knowledge of OpenStack and/or Kubernetes; and/or of the Linux kernel and user space with upstream patches
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1401423