Liaisons Coordinator United States
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
The Liaisons Coordinator is the driving force in ensuring that Wikimedia communities, partners, and affiliates are aware of, and engaging in the Movement Strategy Process through consultations, communication, progress reports and updates.
In this role, you will share guidance for engagement from the Movement Strategy Core Team to communities and Organized Groups1. You will work closely with the Process Architect and Information and Knowledge Manager, as well as manage a team of nine part-time Strategy Liaisons.
As the manager for a multi-cultural team of Strategy Liaisons across a range of timezones, you will support them to do their best work. In order to achieve this, your role will include: work planning, assignment delegation, performance management, problem solving, and ensuring outcomes are achieved within the project’s specified timeframes as well as budget forecasting.
The Liaisons Coordinator is expected to collaborate with others in a respectful manner, to encourage collegial engagement, and to be creative and open to new solutions. This is an opportunity best suited for those who work well both independently and with others.
We’re looking for a candidate who is mission motivated, an organized and effective project and people manager, and excited to help advance the Movement Strategy Process. This role reports to the Program Manager, Movement Strategy.
1Affiliates, other organized groups of the Wikimedia movement
We’d like you to do these things:
- Manage and assist Strategy Liaisons with their assigned work
- Design and implement outreach and engagement approaches for key communities to advance the Movement Strategy Process
- Oversee the coordination and accessibility of Movement Strategy Process consultations and events for community engagement
- Ensure timely quality translation services of community-developed content into English by the Strategy Liaisons
- Monitor movement, community and organized group level discussions, map out connection points between them and facilitate information transfers between the communities and the process
- Support Liaisons on difficult discussions and situations when necessary to promote effective resolution, mutual understanding, and healthy communication
- Prepare and brief the Core Team on community feedback and needs received through the liaisons including:
We’d like you to have these skills:
- The ability to organize and lead with demonstrated program/project management experience as well as people management experience (3 or more years)
- The ability to use qualitative research, information and data to convey information in a compelling manner
- The ability to collaborate and work collegially with others with an open and approachable working style
- The ability to communicate effectively both interpersonally and with key stakeholders in styles ranging from precisely detailed to clear and simple, depending on context.
- The ability to focus on the larger picture and pinpoint which concerns and views are widespread and which are individual and opinion-based
- You are committed to inclusion and diversity and have demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- You are emotionally mature, self-reliant, and can tolerate ambiguity while not being easily discouraged
- You are a team player who cares deeply about your work and also helps colleagues succeed
- You are a resourceful problem solver who is proactive in identifying challenges, and finds ways to work around roadblocks
- You are organized, efficient and thrive on delivering outcomes within deadlines
- You have strong verbal and written proficiency with the English language
- You have a general understanding of the existing landscape of Wikimedia movement
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Experience using and contributing to Wikimedia projects
- Experience and/or interest in online and multilingual communities
- Diverse language skills is a major plus. The Wikimedia movement is multilingual, so we aim to be able to communicate with our different communities natively
Cover letter is required and important. We care what you have to say and how you say it. Tell us how your interests and experiences make this the right job for you.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/1460548