Legal Counsel, Product Remote, Americas
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Legal Counsel, Product and Privacy
The Legal Counsel, Product and Privacy collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of matters including IP, product, marketing and privacy. In addition to the general Responsibilities and and Requirements above, this role specifically requires:
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfill your role.
What you'll do in this role
- Partner with team members and stakeholders across GitLab to provide pragmatic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing the goals of the business
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review templates and policies
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks; propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Review, draft and negotiate agreements
- Build the necessary processes, systems, and documentation to improve legal department processes and resources
- Experience providing counseling to product and engineering teams on products and features throughout the development lifecycle, and identifying legal issues
- Knowledge and understanding of open source licensing
- Experience working on advertising, trademark, marketing issues (email campaigns, sweepstakes, promotional activities), including familiarity with FTC regulations, GDPR and other local law requirements
- Experience identifying privacy issues, conducting privacy impact assessments, and advising on privacy compliance requirements(e.g., GDPR, CCPA)
- A strong mix of legal, technical, and business acumen that will allow you to understand and discuss complex technical issues and data flows.
- Basic knowledge of DMCA and Law Enforcement requirements
- Experience working in a SaaS and self-managed software company
We're looking for
- 1 - 3 years' legal experience, preferably in a multinational company
- JD/LLB or local law degree equivalent and admission to local governing body
- Experience working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve business issues
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage
- Ability to use GitLab
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $98,000- $147,000 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/5591853002