Legal Counsel, Employment (EMEA) Remote, EMEA
GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This position is remote, ideally based in EMEA.
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,300 team members in 68+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
The Legal Counsel (Employment) collaborates with clients across GitLab on a broad range of matters across the entire arc of the employment relationship, from recruiting to onboarding, compensation, performance management, leave management, separation, and, where necessary, litigation.
What you'll do in this role
- Partner with team members and stakeholders across GitLab to provide pragmatic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing the goals of the business
- Advise on, draft, maintain and review templates and policies
- Monitor and analyze changes in the law and legal risks; propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Review, draft and negotiate agreements
- Build the necessary processes, systems, and documentation to improve legal department processes and resources
We're looking for
- 3 - 5 years legal experience, preferably in a multinational company
- Experience providing counseling to people business partners and team member relations teammates regarding team member relations concerns.
- Knowledge and understanding of general employment compliance requirements in the EMEA region with an ability to flag and seek out from local counsel specific local requirements as applicable.
- Experience drafting employment policies, especially those that cross multiple jurisdictions in the EMEA region.
- Familiarity with GDPR and other local privacy law requirements as it relates to employee privacy.
- A strong mix of legal, technical, and business acumen that will allow you to understand and discuss complex employment issues.
- Experience managing employment litigation, appeals tribunals, agency investigations, and/or negotiating separation agreements.
- Ability to provide support, including issue spotting and managing outside counsel, in regions outside of EMEA, on an as-needed basis.
- JD/LLB or local law degree equivalent and admission to local governing body
- Experience working effectively across business units and internal functions to efficiently resolve business issues
- Practical yet creative problem-solving approach that emphasizes addressing business needs while protecting GitLab’s interests
- Proactive, dynamic, and result driven self starter with strong attention to detail
- Familiarity working across the globe, to support multiple time zones and cultures
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with all business functions throughout the organization with a highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Previous experience in a remote work environment would be an added advantage
- Someone qualified to practice law in any of these locations
- Ability to use GitLab
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/5104192002