Legal Counsel (eCommerce & Payments) Worldwide
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, and Tumblr, is seeking a talented addition to our legal team, to help us navigate issues that we come across every day in creating eCommerce services for our users.
Automattic is committed to democratizing commerce and empowering anyone to sell anything, anywhere. We have a variety of product offerings to make that happen. WooCommerce allows small and medium businesses to build exactly the online store they want. And on WordPress.com we offer a full range of eCommerce options from fully customizable online stores, to one-click payments, and paid subscriptions that support creators’ online content.
We’re looking for a versatile team player who gets things done with minimum friction, makes the complex seem simple, and can offer strategic advice to help Automattic build and do great things for the vibrant community merchants and creators that we proudly power. This is the ideal role for someone who wants to shape legal and business strategy for a dynamic and rapidly growing company, while helping to make the internet a better place.
You’ll be the lead counsel supporting WooCommerce along with payments focused teams. The best part about this job is its unpredictability. There are no “typical days,” and you embrace that.
In this role, some of the things you might do are:
- Advise on a broad assortment of regulations, industry standards, and legislation that impact online commerce, including privacy, financial & payments regulatory frameworks, intellectual property, marketing, and consumer protection
- Look ahead to identify legal trends in eCommerce and the implications for our company and our products
- Work with teams to help launch new features that support our online merchants and creators in expanding their market reach
- Protect our brand and technology through IP protection and enforcement worldwide
- Collaborate with our Trust & Safety and extension marketplace teams on cutting edge, user-centered policies and store guidelines for protecting consumers and intellectual property online
- Design processes that enable teams to scale, such as standardizing resources and tools for common legal issues
- Cheerfully help all Automatticians clear legal hurdles that arise in their jobs
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have 5-8 years’ experience in a fast paced, technology centric environment with at least three years experience in eCommerce. In-house experience a plus.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our ecommerce business including: online sales regulations, financial & payments regulations, intellectual property, consumer protection, marketing, privacy, and open source licensing. Bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Are business minded and practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos; we solve problems and get things done.
- Are humble. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Have grit. What’s been most rewarding and meaningful for you professionally isn’t the work that was easiest.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Operate independently. You’re a self starter who can roll up your sleeves.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Are a great writer.
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell us about one or more of the following:
- A law impacting online commerce that vexes you, and how you would fix it.
- What you wish government officials and courts knew about eCommerce.
- Something you worked on that you are especially proud of, and why it fueled your passion for work.
Also, please make sure to include at least one legal joke in the materials you submit.
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. It’s not a requirement that you live in or relocate to the Bay Area to do this job.