Lead Program Manager, Global Advocacy Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Lead Program Manager, Global Advocacy
Wikimedia envisions a world where the sum total of human knowledge is available to everyone.
The Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit home of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, and other free educational projects, serves as the hub of a global movement of hundreds of thousands of contributors collaborating to collect and share the sum of all human knowledge with the world. Wikimedia’s fast-growing Global Advocacy team advocates globally for policies and technologies that enable our movement and its projects to thrive.
You are responsible for:
We seek a Lead Program Manager to serve as the “chief operating officer” for the Global Advocacy team. Reporting to the VP for Global Advocacy within the Wikimedia Foundation’s Legal Department, our ideal candidate is a seasoned professional with experience running programs or organizations at the intersection of technology, human rights, and open knowledge. You will help us manage rapid team expansion, drive strategic planning, track and evaluate impact, support the VP in managing our budget and resources, and help the team set appropriately ambitious yet realistic goals. You will help us improve systems and processes to manage our work with other teams and departments, improve our coordination of advocacy campaigns with affiliates and volunteers across our global community, and refine our approaches to collaborating effectively with external partners.
- Design and facilitate the team’s long-term strategic planning as well as routine processes for setting, meeting, and reporting on our objectives and measuring impact in the world
- Help the team balance our need to react flexibly and nimbly to opportunities, events, and crises in the world, with the need to complete long-term projects and meet internal needs for policy counseling and support
- Facilitate a shared understanding of objectives and key results across diverse sets of stakeholders, managing processes, identifying and clearing bottlenecks and integrating timely opportunities
- Streamline, organize, and support reporting and communication flow for the VP within the team, across the Legal Department, with other departments, and in some circumstances with volunteers and affiliates
- Streamline, organize, and support the Global Advocacy team in briefing leaders across the Legal Department, the executive team and all staff on how the entire organization can advance our global advocacy objectives in service of a thriving global movement
- Work with department leaders to provide program planning and facilitation, identify and optimize recurring workflows, and coordinate cross-departmental efforts led by the Global Advocacy team
- Coordinate strategic projects as needed, which may include supporting high-speed, short-term, multi-stakeholder micro projects as we respond to global challenges, events, crises, and opportunities
- Identify the resources required to meet our objectives and support the VP in obtaining C-level support
- Support budget planning and monitoring
- Take on projects as new opportunities arise
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years of experience in program management or a Master’s degree with 6+ years related experience, or equivalent work experience
- Prior experience working in or with an organization, program, or department focused on public policy and/or advocacy
- Excellent organizational skills to manage programs, projects, process, calendars, and planning activities
- The ability to drive and organize projects independently with limited feedback on a daily basis
- Strong verbal, written, and social communication skills with attention to international diversity
- Tolerance for ambiguity and facility with managing complex problems
- The ability to excel in a fast-paced, changing environment that often requires fast turn‐around
- The ability to thrive in a globally-distributed team and nurture and maintain positive, respectful professional relationships
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
- Flexible mindset and ability to adjust processes to scale or to change course
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Commitment to the organization's mission, values, and guiding principles.
- Experience with project management tools (e.g., Asana, Trello, or other systems)
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Prior experience as a department- or organization-wide program manager, and/or chief of staff
- Experience working with online communities
- Experience working in an global organization that has a distributed workforce and spans multiple timezones
- PMP or MSP certification
- Non-profit experience
- Tech sector experience
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/3641387