Lead Counsel, Product United States
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and we’re looking for a Lead Product Counsel to be a key component of our growing US legal team. You will be responsible for partnering with our global product and engineering teams to guide development of our products and services to meet our strategic objectives while complying with applicable laws and regulations across various industries and markets, but with particular focus on the healthcare market. You will partner closely with product management, engineering, business development, marketing, compliance, operations and other legal teams as we work to ensure our products and services maintain compliance with applicable regulations in existing markets and also guide our teams as we expand our offerings to support new market verticals, including in heavily regulated markets such as healthcare and FinTech. You will provide legal advice and counsel on a variety of product compliance matters, and will also be involved in structuring, negotiating and advising on various transactions with business partners and customers in regulated markets.
The ideal candidate has experience advising product and engineering teams developing technology products and services. Experience working with product and engineering teams in the communications industry as well as the healthcare and life sciences markets is strongly preferred and an eagerness to roll up his/her sleeves to learn about regulatory frameworks in other markets and industries is required. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is solutions-oriented, not afraid to dive deep into products and underlying technologies, and prides him/herself on offering practical advice in a manner that is understandable by non-lawyers. This job is for you if you love to learn, enjoy working in cross-functional teams, and are excited to be involved in building new products and services.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer and Member of local State Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel
- 8+ years of legal experience, at least three of which should be in an in-house environment.
- Experience working in a complex, fast-paced technology company.
- Experience counseling product teams on compliance with regulatory frameworks applicable to the U.S. healthcare industry (in accordance with HIPAA) is a must.
- Experience counseling product teams on compliance with regulations in other industries and markets, such as FinTech and government, is also highly desirable.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, effective communication skills, quick learner, and a strong sense of initiative.
- Experience negotiating contracts with customers and vendors in regulated industries, including experience negotiating Business Associates Agreements.
- Experience conducting data protection impact assessments or privacy impact assessments and managing data breach situations and/or notifications.
As Lead Product Counsel, you will:
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Work with product and engineering teams to ensure our products and services comply with existing applicable regulations
- DRAW THE OWL: Guide product and business development teams on new compliance requirements as they build products and service offerings for new markets and new industries.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Support the commercial transactions legal team in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating legal agreements with customers, vendors, and business partners as they relate to regulatory obligations.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Support the sales and product team in working with customers seeking to build solutions on Twilio’s platform that comply with applicable regulatory frameworks.
- BE AN OWNER: Support the privacy team in identifying privacy risks and in conducting data protection and/or privacy impact assessments.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Support the Intellectual Property team in identifying patent, trademark, copyright and open source issues.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Review marketing materials in relation to our product and service offerings to regulated industries.
- DON’T SETTLE: Monitor and analyze developments in regulations applicable to our product and service offerings and advise internal teams as necessary.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Synthesize input from outside counsel, your own research, and feedback from internal stakeholders to provide practical guidance applicable to product teams.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
LOCATION: Remote- US, Below ranges are applicable to Colorado ONLY
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: 160,896 - 221,232
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: 140,784 - 193,578
Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3340590