Junior Software Engineer United States
Company: Bad Rabbit
Junior Software Engineer
About Bad Rabbit
Bad Rabbit, Inc. is made up of a growing team of experienced professionals who work together to identify, understand, and develop solutions to our clients’ software needs. We work within the medical research sector, and help to maintain and develop tools to assist research institutions in dealing with administration, compliance, research finance, and regulation. Some of our clients include The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Arizona State University, Penn State, and Dartmouth College.
- Startup culture, without startup stress. Bad Rabbit is a 12-year old, profitable business but we are still a small and growing company. This means you can experience the excitement of being in a fast-growing company, and have plenty of opportunities to grow with us without the crazy hours or instability of a “normal” startup.
- Great team. Our team is predominately located in the greater NYC, Philadelphia and Portland, Oregon areas and individuals work from home offices. That’s right: your commute is only as far as your coffee machine. As we are small, we can be very selective about the types of people we hire. That means you’re going to get to work with some really smart, passionate, and friendly individuals. You won’t find a dramatic or competitive work environment here; we’ve set up Bad Rabbit to be a non-political, efficient place where you can expect to be valued and respected for your work ethic and teamwork, no matter which piece of the puzzle you’re working on.
- Get to work from home up to two days a week. When full senior, remote work available 100% of the time.
- Unique culture. We strive to be fair, transparent, and flat, meaning you won’t wonder what the “higher ups” are discussing behind closed doors. At Bad Rabbit, everyone is treated as key members of the team. We have a unique revenue sharing scheme which rewards everyone’s hard-work and encourages everyone to contribute to our future growth.
- Amazing work environment. We think if you work hard, you should receive a great salary and generous benefits. We have full health coverage for you, your spouse, and dependents; a great 401K; bonus potential and loads more! We’ll even set you up with a shiny new computer of your choice and a big monitor to go with it. Who doesn’t love that new computer smell?
Flexibility & Remote Work
At Bad Rabbit, we pride ourselves on being a forward-thinking employer. Most of our developers work from home and set their own hours. For this position, a minimum of 3 days in the office per week is required, and hours will typically align with standard business hours (with some flexibility). We define this as a regular 8-hour block of time Monday through Friday, sometime within the hours of 6 am to 7 pm. When you reach full senior-level status, remote work is available 100% of the time.
It is mandatory that candidates for this role are based within commuting distance to Portland, Oregon.
You are an early career software technologist with an appetite for continued learning and striving toward effectiveness. You are able to work independently and also clearly and directly ask for help when you get stuck or delayed. You are looking to swim in the deep end and grow quickly through experience. You know your limits and earn trust by checking in with teammates before taking critical actions.
Technical skills required:
- One or more completed software projects you built yourself, either independently or part of a course.
- Certification, degree, or independent projects that display competency in multiple technologies.
- Developed a web application to completion either independently or as part of a team.
- Solid understanding of database architecture and technology.
- Competency in full web stack technology
Technical skills that would be really great:
- Experience with the Huron-Click® Portal Solutions.
- Experience with other medical research software, for instance EPIC, IRBs or Grants Management Systems.
Preferred non-technical experience:
(Note that, while we’d love to see these attributes on an application, we don’t want to discourage you from applying if you meet the above-listed qualifications, but don’t yet have these specific experiences.)
- Consulting experience.
- Independent passion/work ethic
What You’ll Do:
The position will require working closely with senior developers and technical leadership to complete defined programming and other technical tasks. Tasks may include working within the Huron-Click® Portal Solutions framework, assisting in new application development, and working on integration projects between software systems already in use by our customers. Huron-Click Portal is a proprietary object-oriented web application framework that requires learning custom tools, APIs, and terminology. As part of the day to day you will:
- Help build, maintain and enhance web-based business applications (bugs, upgrades, enhancements).
- Be a part of peer review code reviews.
- Assist in development of core pieces of reusable infrastructure and/or software prototypes and demonstrations
- Help improve our internal and external documentation.
Benefits & Compensation
For a full list of benefits check out our Careers page but at a glance for this position:
- Competitive compensation (above industry average).
- Comprehensive benefits (Health & 401K).
- Profit sharing scheme.
- Some flexibility in work hours
- Some opportunity for remote work
- Transparent salary ladder which offers clear path to progression
Make sure you clearly fit the descriptions above (see “About You”) You must be authorized to work in the United States and physically able to work out of our Portland, Oregon office.
- Email email@example.com
- Include your resume or Linked In.
- Tell us why we are a great fit for each other.
- Show us some code! Your GitHub, a past piece of work, or a side project you are proud of.
- Keep in mind we want to know who you are as a person; it never hurts to tell us about your hobbies or what you look forward to doing with your new, flexible, work-from- home lifestyle. For example, we’re dog people, and we appreciate a good sense of humor.
Our Hiring Process
- Resume and cover letter review – be sure to include the requested topics listed above in your cover letter for the most efficient response time.
- 30-minute phone screen
- Two one-hour technical phone calls
- A one-hour call where we discuss our day-to-day, talk salary, logistics, and fit
- A paid programming assignment of no more than 6 hours
- A final in-person interview
Please note: Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. Please read the above information closely for cover letter requirements.