JAAS - Software Engineer Americas, EMEA
Job Location: North America / Europe - your home, given appropriate facilities including broadband Internet.
Canonical and Ubuntu are right at the heart of cloud computing, distributed computing, and scalable software systems. Whether public or private clouds, bare metal, or virtualized in a container, Ubuntu is there. Juju is a state-of-the-art, open source modelling tool for operating software in the cloud. Juju allows you to deploy, configure, manage, maintain, and scale deployment models quickly and efficiently on public clouds. JAAS gives you Juju, as a service: the best way to quickly model and deploy your cloud-based applications. Learn more at https://jujucharms.com/.
As a member of the JAAS engineering team, you will building a modeling software platform, designing and implementing new features and services as well as helping to operate services in production. Designing to scale, integration with public clouds, and security with a distributed trust model are just some of the challenges you’d be working on.
Applicants should be passionate about the future of operating big software, software defined datacenter, distributed system, and open source. Canonical is a globally distributed team of engineers who share that passion, and you will need to work well in that context. Engineers who thrive at Canonical are mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large, innovative organizations.
This job involves international travel several times a year, usually for one week at a time.
- Work mostly with Go and Python, but also other languages, to develop high-quality, extensible and reusable services.
- Actively collaborate with users to resolve problems and define new features.
- Show strong technical leadership in feature definition, feature delivery, code review, and backlog management.
- Instrumenting and operating services, solving bottlenecks and developing for rapid scaling.
Required skills and experience:
- Proven product development track record of at least 5 years professional software delivery using Go, C, C++, Java, Python or similar.
- Degree level education in a technology field.
- Experience with agile software development methodologies.
- Experience with Linux and free/open-source software.
- Working knowledge of cloud computing and top three public clouds.
- Excellent communications skills in the English language.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of people (both technical and non-technical).
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule, and to motivate and mentor others to do the same.
- Software development and operational experience with databases.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Technical understanding of complex distributed systems
- Delivery of scale-out service solutions
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, LXD, Kubernetes, DC/OS etc)
- Experience with Openstack
- Programming with and operating various databases, ie. PostgreSQL, InfluxDB
- Exposure to devops/system administration
- Experience working on a distributed team on an open source project -- even if that is outside work open source contributions.
- Utilizing metrics-driven approach to prioritization.
Keywords: golang, python, web servers, microservices, distributed systems, containers, kubernetes, scale-out, identity management, linux, ubuntu, cloud, devops, open source, instrumentation, product driven, lean, home, remote #fmg1
Reports to: JAAS Engineering Manager
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1026889