Intranet Developer Remote - US / Canada
GitHub is looking for a well-rounded developer to manage and maintain our intranet, The Hub. As a developer company, we run The Hub like an open source project, relying on content and feature contributions from across our employee community with a small team of maintainers at its heart. We need a passionate technologist who can wear many hats to generate and maintain contributions, ensure technical integrity, and serve as a champion for The Hub to our developer-oriented employees (“Hubbers”).
The Hub is built on GitHub for GitHub—powered by Jekyll, written in Markdown, managed with Issues and Pull Requests, and deployed with GitHub Pages. We use GitHub Actions for linting content and code, code scanning, deploys, and more to make contributions easy and keep Hubbers closer to the customer experience. The Hub is key to helping Hubbers, regardless of their role or technical knowledge, live out our Leadership Principles while using and interacting with our products.
As a member of the Internal Communications team, you’ll serve as our technical lead who keeps the “Home for all Hubbers” running and helps Hubbers do the best work of their lives. Your technical prowess will complement our creativity and content and keep us savvy to the developer mindset. It’s a bonus if you also have web design or UX experience. This is a great chance to use your coding skills creatively and make an impact on the entire company.
- Write clear, scalable, and quality code with an emphasis on maintainability and scalability
- Develop/enhance features and define processes that ensure site quality
- Leverage industry-leading tools and best practices for development, measurement, and implementation
- Identify opportunities, evaluate feasibility, and recommend solutions that enable Hubbers to do their best work; thoroughly document changes, issues and enhancements
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers at the company to leverage emerging GitHub products/features; host activities such as hack weeks or sprints to advance technical progress
- Manage site like an open source project, highlighting technical milestones and expanding the passionate community of active internal contributors
- Experience and proficiency with Git, GitHub and Jekyll
- Ability to think ahead and determine how to ensure the site is maintainable and scalable
- Eagerness to get your hands dirty, learn new things, and leave things better than you found them
- Familiarity with the open source community and what makes them tick
- Ability to navigate large codebases and get up to speed independently
- Excellent communication, collaboration and organization skills
- Bonus: Comfortable working alongside designers and building beautiful and accessible web interfaces with HTML and CSS
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/2951749