Infrastructure Software Engineer (Observability) Remote - Europe
GitHub is looking for software engineers with a passion for the observability of fault-tolerant and distributed systems. As part of our observability team, you will have an opportunity to collaborate with like-minded engineers and open source communities while you build solutions that improve confidence and insight into the world's largest code hosting platform.
We founded the observability team with an explicit mandate to improve the state of the art not just for GitHub, but the entire industry. As a key part of this initiative, we will ask you to balance third-party integrations and open source contributions while making an impact on how GitHub builds its products. Success in this role includes active and meaningful contribution to the open source community.
The product of our observability team is understanding and confidence of how our application logic behaves in production. This includes application debugability, event correlation, logs-based analysis, timeseries data, rich alerting workflows, inter-service dependency graphs, SLIs, and consistent/accessible golden metrics. We will look to you to help bring coherent theory and practice into how GitHub builds and scales its products.
The infrastructure organization is a highly distributed team. Your strong written communication skills will allow you to thrive in a environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You will have an opportunity to build meaningful working relationships with peers from around the globe and do the best work of your career.
This role is an opportunity to think deeply about observability and make a significant impact on how the world builds software.
- Build a resilient, available, and sustainable observability stack.
- Advocate observability as a core component of our products, infrastructure, and engineering culture.
- Improve the confidence of our engineers when working with complex distributed systems.
- Contribute positively to open source observability initiatives and the industry as a whole.
- Identify and integrate with third-party solutions where it makes the most sense.
- Passion and opinions for the observability domain.
- Proficiency with the GNU/Linux operating system.
- Experience working on observability projects, topics, or themes.
- Familiarity with open-source and third-party observability tools.
- Proficiency with programming languages such as Go, Ruby, or Java.
- Strong desire to work on open source projects.
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as Python or shell.
- Success as an open-source contributor.
- Practical experience with Prometheus.
- Experience building infrastructure automation.
- Experience with logs-based analysis and RPC tracing technologies.
- Success in a remote work environment.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 31 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1561026