Infrastructure Engineer - Service Communications Remote- North America
GitHub is looking for infrastructure engineers to join the Service Communications team in our Development Lifecycle organization. You'll be part of a new team building application-level communication infrastructure, libraries, and standards to support GitHub’s engineers in building and operating the world's largest code hosting platform.
Development Lifecycle at GitHub prides itself on a strong internal and external customer focus and data-informed experimentation to improve security, resilience, reliability, performance and usability. On Service Communications, you'll join us in enabling the future architecture of GitHub, including:
- Observability, testing and management of service-to-service communications
- Resilient platforms for service discovery, configuration and metadata
- Authorization and authentication of messages sent between services and workloads
This team and its parent Development Lifecycle organization are highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. Our team members span a variety of timezones, genders, races, cultures, disability statuses, sexual orientations, family responsibilities, experience levels, professional backgrounds, personality types, and more. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and to excel in working relationships with people different from you.
- Develop and maintain scalable service communications infrastructure through reusable code and tooling
- Build tools and systems that empathetically and pragmatically meet real operability needs of GitHub developers
- Cultivate the open source projects developed & contributed to by GitHub and build things you are proud to share
- Use data to understand the availability, reliability, and sustainability of our infrastructure
- Work closely with other teams from across the organization
- Experience building, operating and maintaining resilient, scalable services
- Deep interest in new communications technologies like Envoy, Istio, OPA, SPIFFE, gRPC, and Twirp
- Ability to draw on both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs
- Strong communication skills and willingness to pair program, mob on tough bugs, brainstorm in public, and otherwise enthusiastically engage with your teammates in group problem solving
- Demonstrated understanding of container networking and security
- Comfort working with network protocols, proxies and load balancers
- Experience building highly available services at scale
- Familiarity with the benefits and challenges of transitioning monoliths to microservices
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- Experience with Consul for service discovery
- Technical writing skills
- Interest in or experience with systems languages, particularly Go
- History of success in a remote work environment
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 31 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1573237