Human Resources/Employment/Benefits Counsel Worldwide
Human Resources / Employment / Benefits Counsel
Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce, is looking for a talented employment and benefits lawyer to work with our HR and Legal teams to scale our distributed model as we grow. The Human League (externally known as HR) team’s goal is to ensure our company is the best place Automatticians have ever worked, making each person feel welcomed, included, valued, and respected. In this role you will provide support to the HR team and business teams on HR related matters, including advising on global compensation strategies, managing employment expansion to new geographies, and navigating team relationships with grace and empathy. This is the ideal role for an attorney looking to help an innovative HR team support Automattic through its next phase of growth.
In this role, you will:
- Navigate international laws regarding employment and human resources.
- Design legal and business processes that enable the team to scale globally, such as standardizing common guidelines, terms and agreements, and educating employees about best practices.
- Advise on employment documents and HR policies.
- Support Automattic’s M&A team on employment matters.
- Structure, negotiate, and draft compensation and termination agreements.
- Advise on the administration of global employee benefits plans.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have a JD from a US accredited law school and 2-4 years’ experience practicing employment law or a related field, at a law firm and/or in-house.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business. Primarily: Establishing multinational compensation and benefits programs, employment agreements, employee privacy, complex termination scenarios, and establishing multinational and maintaining international employment entities. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context; bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Can recognize legal and ethical risks and have exceptional interpersonal skills to communicate these effectively to colleagues.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business minded and very practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Enjoy a dynamic, fast-growing environment, and prefer to operate very independently. You are highly motivated to learn new things and improve your skills, and enjoy juggling an array of tasks. Experience working with remote team members is a plus.
- Have a passion for elegant, simple, automated solutions that keep operations running smoothly.
- Are collaborative, and enjoy working with multiple teams.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Excel at understanding complex topics and explaining them to others in clear and concise terms.
- Are a great writer, and maybe even have experience using WordPress :)
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
We’re a distributed company with more than 800 Automatticians in 69 countries speaking 79 different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, please send a short email to jobs @ automattic.com telling us about yourself and attach a résumé. Let us know what you can contribute to the team. Include the title of the position you’re applying for and your name in the subject.
Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out. If you apply for multiple positions or send multiple emails there will be one reply.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please tell us about a situation in which you streamlined complicated employment laws with creativity.
Also, please make sure to include at least one lawyer joke in the materials you submit.