GM of IoT United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
At Twilio, our mission is to power the future of communications. Twilio's IoT business unit is growing rapidly and seeking a General Manager to accelerate our growth. This role features rare autonomy, with ownership over all aspects of a business that is funded and measured independently.. Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, this position is based in the United States (San Francisco Bay Area) with a level of domestic and international travel as determined by you. The GM is responsible for the business success of Twilio’s IoT products and services. You will directly lead the product management and software engineering teams, while working closely with Marketing, Sales, and Finance, among others, to build an IoT roadmap that delivers compelling, long-lasting value to the next generation of IoT solution builders. The P&L for your business unit is discrete and independent; you are solely responsible for the strategy that will drive short, medium and long term investments in your business to deliver the greatest possible results.
Twilio is looking for a leader who has:
- Functional experience
- You’ve either worked in IoT, wholesale cellular connectivity, or embedded engineering and have a clear and articulable opinion on what the future of connected devices looks like.
- You’ve run a business. You were a CEO, a founder, or a General Manager, with responsibility for a standalone P&L.
- 15+ years of hands-on leadership experience within product management, engineering and go-to-market teams
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience required; MBA preferred
- Team-building experience
- Experience building, leading and running robust teams, providing guidance, support, and development to well trained staff, and attracting top talent
- Fosters a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal guidance on how to provide product direction to meet customer needs
- Has built and led distributed international teams
- Collaborative and results driven individual with the ability to find opportunity, influence, negotiate, and constructively implement improvements throughout an organization
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent
- Operational experience
- You’ve been responsible for a large (100+) product and engineering team that is prioritizing and delivering software in multiple streams simultaneously.
- You’re a big picture problem solver who can translate a vision to operational plans. Demonstrated ability to write down clear long term strategies and structured business plans, incorporating market intelligence, customer feedback and other data
- Creates the business cadences, metrics visibility and processes to support an operationally excellent organization that improves execution as we scale.
- You love ‘the written’ form of communication. Communicating in prose about the IoT business doesn’t incite night sweats.
As GM of IoT, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES & DRAW THE OWL: Collaborate with customers to define new platform capabilities and solutions. Be accountable for revenue and gross profits of the new business line.
- BE AN OWNER & BE BOLD: Own product roadmap that delivers data products and features that will help drive revenue growth with developers and customers of our Programmable Apps. Lead the strategy, planning, and execution of the team to meet customer demand.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Collaborate with leadership teams across R&D and GTM to build the business, increase market visibility and continue to build a fast-paced, results driven culture.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Develop and monitor metrics to guide the team and report revenues and gross margin effectiveness, including regular performance reporting and dashboards.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Build, lead, and manage a global, diverse team. Seek out unique points of view to deliver products that reflect the global population and make communication more inclusive.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Promote a positive work environment; select and train new team members; continuously provide feedback, mentoring, and coaching to existing team members. Manage, build, and develop collaborative cross-functional product teams.
Twilio is known for its developer-friendly communications APIs, which have changed the way global businesses engage with customers. Ultimately though, it’s the developer community (“ask your developer”) that breeds experimentation and therefore innovation in our businesses. Twilio IoT strives to bring developer empowerment to IoT - the next major wave of computing. We started our journey into IoT by offering cellular connectivity, but our ambition spans into all the hardest areas of IoT software development. . Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, learning, development, and entire employee experience. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation - and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position can be located remotely in western North America, or in either of our Denver or San Francisco offices. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/2419933