Global Data & Insights Fellow (Data Analysis & Visualization) Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Hours Worked: 20 hours/week
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking three Global Data & Insights Fellows to advance the Wikimedia movement’s vision of every human being able to freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
You will be part of the Global Data & Insights Team in the Product & Technology Department. The role of the team is to support Wikimedia Foundation staff in using social data and analytics to learn from their work and improve decisions. During your Fellowship, you will be supported by researchers, analysts, evaluators, and data engineers on the Global Data & Insights team. We are skilled in survey design and research methodologies, causal analysis, digital analytics, and strategic planning, and have experience in translating complex data from a variety of sources to organizational stakeholders in order to connect the dots across the organization. You will support sharing lessons learned about the Wikimedia Movement as well as the internal evaluation of the organization’s key capacity-building activities through analysis, reporting, visualization, and documentation of Global Data & Insights data.
You are responsible for:
- Supporting the cleaning, analysis, and summarization of product analytics and social survey data.
- Connecting data from multiple sources to provide insight into program impact and progress.
- Identifying and sharing actionable insights across datasets to inform reports and decision-making.
- Assisting in creating and updating internal data dashboards and data visualizations.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a postgraduate program specialized in data science, quantitative social science, or a related field.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work systematically to ensure accuracy and quality.
- Experience with dashboarding tools (i.e., Apache superset, Google Data Studio, etc.).
- Experience summarizing data for reporting and analyzing datasets using data manipulation and analysis packages such as R, Python, or similar statistical software.
- Experience in data visualization to summarize and communicate simple and complex data.
Qualities that are important to us:
- The ability to problem solve and to learn and apply new technologies.
- The ability to flourish in a highly transparent and collaborative environment.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and work under deadlines, as well as to seek out learning and support as needed.
- Effective and inclusive communication with diverse cultural and language communities.
- Interest in or knowledge of Wikimedia projects, the free knowledge movement, global education and/or international development.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with the global Wikimedia Movement.
- Experience with international or multilingual data landscapes.
- Experience with international development, non-profit, or social movement research, and/or working with volunteers.
- Experience with developing social science research tools.
- Exposure to, and interest in, ethical data management and privacy practices.
Benefits & Perks
- Quickly improve your existing data analysis, evaluation, and/or research skills through exposure to real-world applied analytics and research.
- Collaborate with and learn from experienced analytics and evaluation professionals to complete meaningful projects that will directly impact the organization and the world.
- Weekly remote supervision focused on professional development and skills building.
- Telecommute from anywhere with a flexible work schedule.
- Work with great colleagues - a diverse, mission-oriented, and passionate group of people who speak dozens of languages from around the world and engage in rich discourse about free knowledge.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/4466103