Git Infrastructure Engineer United States
GitHub is looking for a talented engineer to join our Git Infrastructure team. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. More specifically, you will develop, automate, test, monitor, and maintain the Git repository storage infrastructure that forms the core of GitHub's product offerings.
The Git Infrastructure team is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have strong written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As a Git Infrastructure engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Develop and maintain infrastructure through reusable code and tooling.
- Use metrics and monitoring systems to ensure performance, scalability, and stability.
- Cultivate the open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Find ways to use existing systems to improve scalability and performance for our platform.
- Interact with the larger organization to ensure the uptime and reliability of our infrastructure.
- A track record of building infrastructure automation.
- Proficiency in a high-level language such as Ruby or Python.
- A deep understanding of the Linux operating system, at both a high- and low-level.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- A tenacious ability to diagnose and fix performance and reliability problems.
- A pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- An ability to find and fix the root cause of systematic problems.
- Building highly available systems at scale.
- Capacity planning for large, multi-tier systems.
- Interest in or experience with languages like Go, C/C++, and Rust.
- Contributions to open source.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience with Linux kernel internals (TCP/IP stack, developing modules).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/1434905