Fullstack Engineering Manager, Fulfillment Worldwide
The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
We're recruiting for two open Engineering Manager positions within Fulfillment for the Provision group and Self-Service Purchase group.
As a Fullstack Engineering Manager in the Fulfillment sub-department, you will directly manage a team of frontend and backend engineers focused on creating seamless commerce experiences for GitLab customers. Fulfillment manages everything regarding purchasing through self-service and channel partners, billing and subscription management, provisioning of both self-managed and SaaS licenses, CI minutes, and storage, and infrastructure and integrations from GitLab's application into our order to cash systems (Zuora, Salesforce, etc.).
- Cloud Licensing v2
- Improve provisioning and onboarding of new sales-assisted GitLab.com subscribers
- Research feedback for future-dated amendments in Subscription Admin
- User Caps
- Improvements to Billable Members
- Seat Usage Vision
- Project Level Storage Visibility
The Engineering Manager's responsibility is primarily their team. They need to be familiar with GitLab's underlying technologies and processes to be able to support their team, as well as be the final decisive vote in cases where the team is blocked on a decision.
Their primary focus is building a world-class team (hiring and coaching), and putting them in the best position to succeed. They must also efficiently coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.
This position is 100% remote.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- Contribute to the overall direction of the Fulfillment sub-department and play a key role in maturing GitLab's commerce capabilities.
- Hire and manage an incredible team of frontend and backend engineers that live our values.
- Improve the happiness and productivity of the team.
- Hold regular 1:1s with team members and give regular and clear feedback around the individual's performance.
- Provide guidance and coaching to team members on technical contributions, product architecture, and other areas of their work.
- Run agile project management processes and author project plans.
- Set and achieve Engineering Performance Indicators and quarterly goals (OKRs).
- Ensure the quality, security and performance of the product is improved by your team.
- Work on small code changes outside of the critical path.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity with boring solutions. Everyone is responsible for finding ways to simplify and improve the features we own.
- Consider user experience throughout your work, to help make every feature lovable.
- Learn and possibly help shape "best practices" for the software industry.
- Collaborate with people across a variety of disciplines.
- Help define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around broader initiatives, specific projects, and community contributions.
- Provide mentorship for Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers to their autonomy.
You should apply if you bring:
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails or another MVC framework.
- Strong technical background in Fullstack development as an engineer or manager.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Demonstrated teamwork in a peak performance organization.
- Product company experience.
- Enterprise software company experience or startup experience.
- Computer science education or equivalent experience.
- Passionate about open source and developer tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Leadership at GitLab.
- Experience in managing a remote team.
- Ability to use GitLab.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
You'll stand out if you bring experience with
- Experience working on billing, payments, commerce, or fulfillment systems.
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor.
- Developer platform/tool industry experience.
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team.
- Experience contributing to open source software.
Also, we know it's tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don't have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Fullstack Engineering Manager, Fulfillment:Provision position typically follows five stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $153,000 - $229,500 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/6158587002