French Language Support, Movement Strategy & Governance (Contract) Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
Duration: Until June 30, 2023
Hours: 7 hours per week (max)
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking a French speaker to provide language support - both written and spoken - for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. The Movement Strategy & Governance (MSG) team within the Wikimedia Foundation is tasked with the facilitation and implementation of the Movement Strategy 2030, which includes supporting the Movement Charter Drafting Committee to draft the Movement Charter to provide guidance for the sustainable governance of the Movement. The French interpreter/translator will perform a key role in ensuring everyone has an opportunity to participate without hindrance by assisting French speakers across a range of activities for the Movement Charter, including but not limited to interpreting during meetings and translating documents to prepare for meetings.
To ensure success, you need to process and impart information swiftly, and relay intentions, emotions and tone in your interpretations. Preferred applicants have outstanding problem-solving skills, and have the ability to work to a high level of accuracy.
- Acting as Interpreter between a wide range of people with diverse voices, accents, speaking tempos and personalities.
- Providing parties with clear and exact translations of written materials, and interpretations of verbal communication.
- Providing interpretations of questions, answers, statements, arguments, explanations and other forms of verbal communication.
- Rendering translations of documents and other written materials.
- Imparting thought, purpose, spirit, emotions and tone of speakers from source language into target language.
- Interpreting with no additions or omissions.
- Informing relevant parties of factors that may hinder your performance.
- Complying with applicable ethics and standards.
- Valid certificate of accredited interpreting training.
- Excellent bilingual communication skills, both verbal and written, in English and French.
- Outstanding listening, retention and note-taking skills.
- Proficient enunciation and pronunciation skills, and pleasant, professional voice.
- Proficient understanding of cultural sensitivity, and ability to collaborate with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Familiarity with Wikimedia’s Movement Strategy and/or facilitation are encouraged.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or +1 (415) 839-6885.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/4420688