Freelance Eater Illustrator United States
Company: Vox Media
Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Eater is looking for a freelance designer/illustrator to join the team on a 10hr/week basis. You will be responsible for design support for reports and features, collaboration, and production on stock illustration imagery.
What you’ll do:
- Execute design. Take design direction and execute on the vision of the Manager of Visuals & Design.
- Collaborate. Work closely with Manager of Visuals & Design on editorial needs. Experience with working with editorial and design stakeholders.
- Participate in design reviews, when needed. Accept and resolve critiques. Attend and participate in project-specific reviews.
- Advocate for accessible design. Follow accessibility guidelines in your work.
- Communicate. Share, share and over share. Be as transparent as possible with your process, ideas, challenges and wins. Ask for help when you need it.
- Be respectful. Adhere to Vox Media’s Values and Design Ethics Guidelines.
- Be agile. Must be able to turn around work on quick deadlines.
- Conceptual thinking. Be able to read copy and develop visual ideas through themes, metaphor and style.
What you’ll bring:
- Proven work experience as an Illustrator, graphic designer or similar role.
- Demonstrable portfolio of completed illustrations.
- Solid knowledge of image editing and digital sketching software, like Photoshop, Indesign and Adobe Illustrator.
- Drawing skills with an attention to detail (both by hand and digital pen).
- Project work, includes sketches and deliverables.
- Photo research and recommendations.
- Design reviews and critiques.
- Weekly 1:1s with Manager of Visuals & Design to prioritize projects, check in on work progress and to identify blockers.
In All Things
- Focus on the work.
- Ask for help when you need it.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.