Firefox Staff Performance Engineer North America
The Firefox Performance team at Mozilla works in conjunction with the rest of the Firefox team to improve the speed of Firefox users’ experiences. We are a looking to expand our team’s capabilities with an experienced C++ programmer who is interested in working collaboratively with a worldwide open source community. If this sounds like you, please get in touch with us!
In this role you’ll be a core team member working to improve Gecko and Firefox for the benefit of users and web developers alike, having frequent contact with collaborators. Firefox is a mature project always looking for new optimizations and we are trying to write some of our new components in Rust. You’ll be responsible for writing code, tests, specifications, building prototypes, solving problems, and analyzing data. You'll get feedback from real users and synthesize it into bug reports, feature designs, and strategic direction to make Firefox faster.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Discovering and diagnosing performance problems in all areas of Firefox.
- Reproducing and clarifying reports of less-than-stellar performance.
- Demonstrating improvements through data-driven analyses.
- Identifying performance gaps against our goals and competition and metrics for measuring them.
- Planning performance improvement projects in order to fill in the identified gaps.
- Redesigning and rewriting (where necessary) parts of the Firefox codebase.
- Collaborating with specialist teams on shared goals.
Your professional profile:
- Deep understanding of how software works at the systems level, familiarity with low-level aspects of performance, multi-threading, performance analysis and optimization, and web languages.
- Proficient with C++.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: web browsers, compilers, computer graphics.
- Creative problem-solver and proficient debugger and profiler.
- Strong documentation and communication skills.
Additional skills that might just set you apart:
- Experience working with distributed teams.
- Experience with a large codebase (i.e. reading lots of code!).
- Experience with planning mid to long-term projects.
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/mozilla/jobs/1155376