Executive Editor Remote - US / Canada
We’re looking for an Executive Editor to join a team focused on The ReadME Project, GitHub’s platform for developer storytelling. We aspire to create engaging content for everyone in GitHub’s 65 million member (and growing!!) developer community - the makers, hobbyists, students, maintainers, and the people contributing to open source. We want to tell their story, demonstrating the best of our community.
The right candidate is well versed in Open Source Software, deep tech and an experienced writer and editorial producer, who understands how to develop content that is personal to software developers.
- Work with multiple disciplines including writers, podcast production agency, developers, artists, animators, and designers to create written and audio content for The ReadME Project, newsletter and The ReadME Podcast.
- Create a wide and diverse network in Open Source Software, both internally and externally, to assist in generating stories and content that are personal to software developers, both inspirational and prescriptive.
- Work with software development subject matter experts across the company, interview customers, and conduct additional research to develop original stories.
- Partner with multi-discipline teams and drive editorial site features, systems creation, planning and execution.
- Manage day-to-day editorial and creative development issues; identify problems in advance and drive creative solutions to fix them.
- Drive multiple teams in content sprints and milestone planning, executing, and reporting on results.
- Proactively identify issues that could disrupt deliverables and schedules and keep the team operating at a high level of productivity.
- Find smart, creative ways to develop or reframe content for and from strategic articles, blogs, The ReadME Podcast and executive presentations.
Regularly assess the performance and impact of published content and look for innovative storytelling mediums and styles to continuously engage GitHub’s community of 65 million developers.
Qualifications and skills:
- Between 10-12 years experience in journalistic writing, editing and content strategy.
- Proven ability to find stories that appeal to the human side of software development, as well as the impact of the open source community on deep-tech.
- Ability to see left-to-right. Can move seamlessly between high-level, strategic thinking and more nuanced, tactical work.
- Skilled at cross-functional, influence-driven collaboration to achieve results.
- Experience working closely with executives and senior stakeholders.
- Ability to be nimble, empathetic, and collaborative.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in high-stress environments.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/3497795