Engineering Manager Remote (US, UK, Canada or Netherlands) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
As Engineering Manager for our Desktop team, you will build and empower one of our flagship Client Apps development teams. Reporting into the VP of Engineering, you will help craft our vision and make it a reality through creative engineering and identifying required solutions to hard problems. You will be responsible for tactical execution by the team, helping to coordinate activities such as sprint planning, design reviews, and project planning. You will also be responsible for hiring and coaching world-class talent for your team.
An ever-increasing number of individuals, families, and businesses are using 1Password every day, and 1Password needs to scale accordingly. Come help us build the backbone of 1Password!
This is a remote opportunity within Canada, the US, the UK, and the Netherlands.
What we're looking for:
- Previous experience of managing teams of high-performing developers.
- The ability to create and maintain a positive, healthy team environment in which everyone is supported, encouraged, and meaningfully challenged to do great work.
- Someone ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work themselves on technical challenges.
- Significant client-side application development experience.
- Capable of driving the delivery of projects, and creating roadmaps for future work.
- Experience working with one or more of the following languages and frameworks: TypeScript, Rust, Swift, SQL.
What you might also have:
- Experience with deploying client applications on macOS, Windows, and/or Linux.
- Experience managing remote and distributed teams.
- Experience with subscription services such as Stripe / Apple App Store / Google Play Store.
What you can expect:
- Recruit and hire a diverse team of strong engineers to create an inclusive workplace.
- Manage engineers and develop engineering leads. Foster an environment of innovation, execution, and collaboration.
- Work to scope and plan key deliverables for projects and initiatives with the team.
- Drive execution with an emphasis on iterations and deliverables, quality, velocity, and communication.
- Provide technical leadership to developers both in your team and across the engineering organization.
- Continue scaling a highly specialized engineering team by working with a team of Engineering Managers to continuously refine hiring, onboarding, and development processes.
Even if you don't tick all those boxes, we'd like to hear from you.
The most important thing you can bring to this job is the drive to dive in, get the work done, and fix root causes instead of treating symptoms. We believe in continuous learning and support professional development on the job with a budget to back it up. If you bring a desire to do the right thing for our customers, a sense of ownership over the product you work on, and a focus on shipping quality code, we want to hear from you.
“We're a team of developers who are passionate about creating great software. We work on challenging technical problems with demanding security considerations using the best tools at our disposal, and are constantly pushing ourselves.”
– Rick Fillion, VP of Engineering: 1Password.com
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
> 🏦 A You Need A Budget membership
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [email@example.com].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or through 1Password Support.