Engineering Manager Anywhere in US /
The Engineering Manager is the manager of a small to mid-sized team. They are comfortable with management practices and are strong project managers. As a leader, they ensure that they are tracking the team's efficiency and quality of work, they assist in regularly adjusting processes and timelines to ensure high quality work is delivered.
The Engineering Manager may spend less time writing code but there is an expectation that they still engage mostly in technical deliverables such as bug fixes and feature development, without blocking or slowing down the progress of their team. More than writing code, they hold responsibility for identifying bottlenecks in the process and roadblocks to success for their team and clearing these roadblocks.
What you'll do:
- Lead a cross-functional team in the implementation of complex features and services
- Mentor and provide career guidance to the engineers on your team
- Collaborate with peers, within and outside the team, to help develop a long-term vision for our engineering practices and tooling.
- Consistently lead teams to deliver compelling products, features and services. Providing transparent updates, timeline estimates, and demos along the way
- Participate in defining and fulfilling the engineering hiring plan for the team, including screening and interviewing
- Help ensure that our coding standards and patterns are observed by participating in design discussions, testing and code reviews
- You'll assist our support team and operations team in triaging and resolving production issues, including participating in on-call rotation
- 1:1s and performance discussions with team members
What you should have:
- 3 years of engineering management experience leading productive, high functioning teams. You can describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers felt productive
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you and you don't shy away from difficult and constructive conversations with your team
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval - and have applied these at significant scale.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship or work experience.
- You are a thoughtful, trustworthy, doer
You have read our human-centered organization framework and are in sync with it 100%.
Articulate is a highly successful, fully remote software company that’s changing the way the world learns. Our award-winning e-learning tools are used by 111,965+ organizations across the globe to create engaging online and mobile courses. Our customers include 100 of the Fortune 100 and 19 of the top 20 U.S. universities. And our online community of 1,035,000+ members is the largest, fastest-growing community in the industry.
We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We’re all free to exercise our crafts the best way we know how to reach our goals as individuals and teams. Each and every one of us is focused on producing results that directly impact the company’s success. And we all strive to do what’s right by people, both internally and externally, instead of taking the shortest route to the highest profits.
We honor people’s humanity in all of our disparate experiences and social locations, accepting each person as an individual with a story worth listening to and honoring. We believe that honoring everyone’s humanity means being committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer and invite applicants to voluntarily disclose their race and gender on our application form to help us create a diverse company. This voluntarily disclosed information will not be shared with any hiring manager and will be kept in confidence by the Articulate human resources department and executives who are not hiring for this position.