Engineering Manager, Infrastructure Secrets Remote (US, UK, Canada or Netherlands) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
Software powers the world, and we empower those who write it. We are on a mission to make every developer’s daily life easier and more secure. We build tools that eliminate accepted complexity – turning historically complex, confusing, and frustrating tasks into delightful automated processes. We’re already making tens of thousands of developers more productive and protecting thousands of businesses throughout the entire software development lifecycle: from writing and committing code to testing in CI, deploying, and finally running in production. Join us and help shape the future of software development for millions of developers worldwide.
We’re looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead our Infrastructure Secrets team. Within the larger Developer Ecosystems organization, the Infrastructure Secrets team focuses primarily on building integrations with CI/CD platforms, cloud providers, and other infrastructure technologies such as Terraform & Ansible to deliver credentials automatically to the workloads that need them.
As the Engineering Manager of this team, you’ll be responsible for the health and direction of both the team and the technology your team builds. You’ll help define and set the strategic direction, manage and support the personal development of the team members, and drive the delivery of quality products on time. Working closely with cross-functional leaders and other stakeholders, you’ll help determine feasibility and desirability of new products, and lead the team to de-risk the big bets we’re making through experimentation.
This is a remote opportunity within the US, Canada, the UK, and the Netherlands.
What we're looking for:
- At least 3 years experience in a role where you were responsible for managing a team of software engineers and everything that comes with that.
- You have significant hands-on development experience (preferably using Golang) and have engineered your way out of many complex, unscoped problems. Having lived the life of a senior developer before, you leverage your own experience to coach and train up the developers on your team.
- You have successfully coordinated and delivered large scale projects that touched multiple areas of the business, product, or underlying architecture.
- You attract and grow great talent and turn strong individual players into successful teams. People want to work with you, both inside and outside the company.
- You motivate and inspire others. After meeting with you, people get back to their job with more energy. You are a force of positivity and lift people up when they need it.
- You're an expert at context switching between various levels of abstraction. From talking strategy & building roadmaps, solving complex problems with an engineer, to helping teams navigate conflict – you do it all and do it well. Every day.
- You enjoy having the freedom and responsibility to make final decisions on most everything for your team. Handling tough problems gives you energy and you can make the hard decisions even when there isn’t much information to go on.
- You can generate consensus and drive decision making effectively with stakeholders both synchronously (over video) and asynchronously (written).
Bonus points for:
- Experience managing multiple teams or multiple managers of engineering teams.
- Experience leading remote or distributed teams. Your team will be spread across the Eastern (ET) and Central European (CET) time zones.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform or Ansible, in a professional environment or for personal projects.
- Experience with deploying production software to AWS or Google Cloud.
- You have built a CI/CD pipeline before and written the jobs yourself.
- You have built and released tools or products for developers before, extra bonus points if they were open source.
- People: Attract, retain, and grow great talent on your team and make sure everyone is productive and happy.
- Coach and train people on your team and create growth opportunities for everyone.
- Foster collaborative decision making where people feel heard and everyone can take some form of ownership.
- Plan team expansion and hire new developers into your team. Make the case why we need more budget to increase the headcount on your team.
- Manage the whole HR compensation cycle, performance reviews etc. Bubble up the cases that aren’t clear cut to discuss with your Director.
- Motivate the team and get them excited to come to work every day. Detect when that motivation is lacking and work with your team to improve it.
- Mediate/resolve conflicts within the team when needed and get low performers back on track or (if necessary) decide to let them go - all with support from your Director and HR Business Partner.
- Work other Engineering Managers to continuously refine hiring, onboarding and development processes for the engineering org as a whole.
Direction: Given a rough strategic direction, make a plan and set the direction for your team. Get everyone excited and organize them to move in that direction together. Create a culture of experimentation where your team works with Product to run experiments and validate our hypotheses early and often with customers.We do a lot of creative work where there are a lot of unknowns (which makes it so exciting!), so having a compass and knowing how to read the landscape is more important for navigation than having a detailed map and instructions. Periodically check in with your Director and with your team to get and share feedback so we can course correct where necessary. Advocate for a change in direction when you see an opportunity and make sure we prioritize the right work on our roadmap. Share key evidence (qualitative or quantitative) to back up your arguments. Work to scope and plan key deliverables for your team’s projects and cross-company initiatives and then allocate the technical talent to that roadmap. Work with your team to break up projects into sizable chunks and plan out releases and milestones over the quarter.
Delivery: Build a well-oiled machine that delivers quality products on time without burning out the people.Manage the day-to-day delivery of the team and improve team processes for software delivery and foster team ownership of these processes.Ensure the team works on the ‘right’ things at the right time and resolve priority conflicts where necessary. Raise flags early and often when projects don’t go as planned so we can adjust our expectations and choose how to respond.Collaborate with leads of other teams, (Product, Marketing, Security, and other Engineering teams) to plan work and ensure we have the right resources to meet our commitments.
Even if you don't tick all these boxes, we want to hear from you. We understand that everyone's experiences are unique.
“Over the 9 years that I’ve worked at 1Password I have grown through different Engineering roles and eventually transitioned into management thanks to our incredible support network of leaders – from being mentored by other managers, heart-felt conversations with my Director, to the continual trust and encouragement from our VP. What I love most about 1Password is the endless opportunity to move around, grow, and discover your passion. When you have great ideas, ambitions, or dreams 1Password helps you make them a reality.
I love working on Developer Ecosystems - a team full of passionate, bright, and caring developers who take true ownership over crafting the best developer tools possible. The amazingly positive feedback we receive from the community is what fuels our passion, and has kept me engaged and continually learning throughout my tenure.”
– Chris Meek, Engineering Manager for Developer Ecosystems (your future co-worker)
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [email@example.com].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or through 1Password Support.