The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
As the Engineering Manager for the Distribution team, you will take overall responsibility for hiring, team management, agile project management, and the quality of this project. This position reports to the Director of Engineering, Enablement.
Managers in the engineering department at GitLab see the team as their product. While they are technically credible and know the details of what developers work on, their time is spent hiring a world-class team and putting them in the best position to succeed. They own the delivery of product commitments and are always looking to improve productivity. They must also coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.
Some examples of our projects:
What you’ll do
- Help your developers grow their skills and experience
- Author project plans for epics
- Run agile project management processes
- Conduct code reviews, and make technical contributions to product architecture as well as getting involved in solving bugs and delivering small features
- Actively seek and hire globally-distributed talent
- Conduct managerial interviews for candidates, and train the team to screen candidates
- Contribute to the sense of psychological safety on your team
- Generate and implement process improvements
- Hold regular 1:1's with all members their team
- Foster technical decision making on the team, but make final decisions when necessary
- Author project plans for epics
- Draft quarterly OKRs
- Run agile project management process
- Train engineers to screen candidates and conduct managerial interviews
- Improve product quality, security, and performance
What you’ll bring
- Exquisite communication: Regularly achieve consensus amongst departments
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role with current technical experience
- Experience with application packaging, deployment and configurations
- Experience with Kubernetes, Operators, Helm Chart, Omnibus, Go and Cloud Native technologies, in addition to any experience required by the position's specialty
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Experience in a peak performance organization preferred
- Deep Ruby on Rails experience preferred
About the team
The Distribution team ensures the experience of installing and maintaining GitLab is easy and safe for everyone. It is the Distribution team's task to think about the widest variety of installation/update use-cases and provide a solution that will satisfy most needs. Distribution is there to provide the best possible experience for a user that is a novice but also a veteran when it comes to installing and maintaining software.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.