Engineering Manager, Developer Platform - Segment United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio Segment is growing rapidly and seeking an Engineering Manager to be a key leader who is passionate about creating high scale, high quality, modern solutions to complex problems.
Our Developer Platform Engineer teams focus on our ability to build and deploy at scale, to create best practices across our engineering organization for security, compliance, and enable our highly autonomous engineering teams to execute safely with the latest technologies.
If you are technically adept and also passionate about development of highly technical teams focused on high scale, large technology and infrastructure challenges, and engineering productivity, this is the role for you!
Twilio Segment is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of engineering leadership. They also have:
- Experience managing healthy and high-performing engineering team(s), both technically and as a people manager. You understand the importance of laying out context for the team instead of prescribing solutions.
- Lead team(s) on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage with a solid grasp of Linux systems fundamentals.
- Strong sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms.
As an Engineering Manager, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: You have the rare ability to collaborate with and lead by example to care for and influence diverse engineering teams to improve the reliability, scalability and durability of their services.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: You give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success.
- DRAW THE OWL: Expertise in problem solving and operating large-scale distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: You effectively coordinate response to outages and advise the team during post mortems on effectively avoiding repeated incidents.
- BE INCLUSIVE: You know how to source, recruit, hire and retain talented Infrastructure & Platform engineers.
The Segment Infrastructure team is central to Twilio continued growth. We work closely with senior leadership and product teams to guide company strategy.
- We implement high performance pipelines with Go, Kafka, Docker, Terraform and lots of other modern tools. We are heavy users of AWS and are expanding to other clouds.
- We drive the future of CI/CD with technologies like BuildKite, Atlantis, and many other technologies we create and curate.
- We love finding the best tools for the job at hand, for example integrating ClickHouse for customer facing and internal statistics, and running Kafka and FoundationDB at scale.
- We have a culture of exceptional testing including unit testing, automated end-to-end testing, shadow deploys, game days, and high observability.
- We’re always deploying, and have sophisticated feature flagging (built on ctlstore).
- We dog-food Segment to help ourselves move faster and guide our engineering and product.
- We partner with our customers and exceptional embedded product leadership to ensure the work we do has impact with our customers and our engineering community.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This is a remote position, located in the United States. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: $146,240.00 - $201,080.00
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: $127,960.00 - $175,945.00
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3452604