Engineering Manager (Core Platform Team) United States
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager on our Core Platform team to help build features that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. As an Engineering Manager, you will support engineers building features, products, and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to do good while improving one of the best known sites in the world.
Engineering Managers at Wikipedia support engineers who build features and products used by people around the world. The Core Platform Team is responsible for the maintenance and development of the MediaWiki and Wikimedia specific services that allow our software to scale to serve millions of users. MediaWiki is an open source, PHP/MySQL web application that powers Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundation websites. It has been incrementally developed over the past 15 years to become a richly featured wiki engine, and the basis for hundreds of extensions and skin, and has a vibrant volunteer community.
- Coach engineers in being effective at meeting their goals
- Develop goals and track progress publicly and collaboratively
- Help to review code changes made by your team
- Represent team members within the organization and publicly
- Coordinate with other teams and departments
- Support your team members to develop their career paths
- Recruit and hire new team members
- 4+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of leadership experience in the internet industry (team lead, senior developer, or manager)
- 5+ years experience supervising software engineering teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with services and server side development
- BS in Computer Science or other relevant technical field or the equivalent in related work experience
Nice to Haves
- Previous experience working on a large, mature, open source project
- Experience working with a geographically distributed software engineering team
- Experience with open source software development
- Contributing to the Wikipedia or Wikimedia project communities
- Experience leading teams to refactor large code bases
- Experience developing distributed systems
If you have any existing open source software that you've developed (these could be your own software or patches to other packages) or presented on, please share the URLs. Links to your projects on GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, Presi, YouTube, Medium, etc. are exceptionally useful.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/1479116