Engineering Lead ABP Chromium - Berlin, Cologne, Remote Berlin, Cologne, Remote
Get to know us
eyeo is an open source software company whose market-leading ad-filtering technology powers products like Adblock Plus, Adblock and Adblock Browser, and whose privacy-first products like Crumbs promote transparency and an improved browsing experience. eyeo is dedicated to giving users control of their online experience while fostering a sustainable online value exchange to offer creators, publishers and advertisers more ways to earn money for the content they provide.
In combining our reach of distribution partnerships and our own products, our technology runs on over 225 million devices.
At eyeo, we’re passionate about user agency, personal privacy, sustainability and keeping the web an open, fair resource for everyone.
How we work
eyeo has colleagues based all over the world. We practice agile and work in distributed, cross-functional teams that span nearly every timezone. Many of our tech teams prefer to work asynchronously.
What you'll do
Adblock Plus (ABP) Chromium is an SDK that enables Chromium-based browsers to integrate ad-filtering capabilities, to improve user experience by blocking ads that don’t meet the Acceptable Ads criteria, and supporting online content creators via monetization. ABP Chromium is available for Android and desktop platforms.
As the Engineering lead for ABP Chromium, your primary responsibility is to the engineers you support, ensuring they have what they need to be successful at eyeo and grow professionally. You are also responsible for the delivery of your team, ensuring that business value is delivered frequently, but also in a sustainable way. Finally, you aim to constantly improve our partners’ experience, and to position eyeo as a trusted advisor that provides technical expertise supported by objective facts and metrics.
As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must. You'll have the opportunity to influence the culture, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
After your morning coffee, you'll be expected to...
- Collaborate with the team’s Product Manager to ensure the right processes and tools are in place, in order to deliver predictably against business goals.
- Maintain a balance between building high-quality technology, preventing technical debt, and releasing quickly.
- Improve the quality and stability of ABP Chromium across multiple platforms, in collaboration with the whole team.
- Facilitate necessary technical and architectural discussions and decision making, within the team and across teams.
- Contribute to the overall technical strategy of the unit and of eyeo, translate it into projects and deliverables, and help engineers understand how their daily work contributes to it.
- Deliver first class service to our partners, through continuous improvement of our technical documentation, as well as fast and reliable support.
- Ensure the engineers in your team have the right skills through hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, feedback and hands-on career development.
- Build a team culture that is collaborative, inclusive and respectful, in line with eyeo’s core values.
- Encourage, empower, and celebrate the learnings and successes of your team and people.
What you bring to the table...
- Experience in leading cross-functional software development teams working on strategically important products
- Extensive experience in modern C++ (minimum C++11)
- Experience designing the architecture of complex software components in a multithreaded environment
- Experience with continuous improvement and Agile software development, particularly in collaboration with product managers/owners
- Passion about introducing software engineering best practices and having an impact on large-scale tech problems
- Experience with CI/CD workflows, ideally having contributed to their setup
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- A thorough understanding of how the web works (e.g. protocols, stack)
It's awesome, but not required, if you know about...
- Understanding of Chromium browser internals
- Experience with other programming languages, particularly Java and Python
- Remote work experience
- Experience in content blocking
- Experience in Open Source software development
What we offer
- Work from home or one of our offices —we trust you to find what works best for you
- Stipend for the following: home office and/or relocation
- Flexible working hours
- 28 days paid vacation + Volunteer Day
- Your choice of hardware and setup
- Personal and professional development budget
- Monthly child care stipend for children under 6
- Offsite team days and the annual summer company retreat in Cologne
- Company-sponsored hackathons
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/eyeo/jobs/4103186