Engineering Director - Community › Home based - Americas, EMEA
As the Engineering Director of Community you will have a broad impact and responsibility for growing community engagement and processes across all of engineering. If you want to define what building the next generation of open source community looks like, this is the role for you.
You will be responsible for assisting various teams at Canonical in broadening their community engagement activities. You will ensure that all engineering teams make community an important aspect of how they do what they do. You’ll provide assistance to new and existing contributors seeking to get involved or expand their role, and connect community contributors with mentors. You will organise cross-team participation in community events and mentoring.
Outside of those responsibilities you will assist the Ubuntu community team in ensuring community processes are high quality and consistently implemented.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with multiple distributed teams
- Help engineering teams establish and achieve community engagement goals
- Establish consistency in community process, engagement, and interaction across engineering
- Influence others and represent technical insight to customers and other engineers
- Spend a significant amount of time mentoring others and providing cross-team input
- Work from home with global travel 4 to 6 weeks for internal and external events
- Collaborate with the developer advocates and PR teams at Canonical to promote Ubuntu and related technologies via blogs and social media.
- Identifying relevant influencers and devising plans on how to effectively engage with them.
Who you are
- You have a long history and clear public record of community engagement, particularly with open source communities
- You are capable of representing Canonical / Ubuntu externally
- You have experience leading successful projects and teams
- You are an articulate communicator
- You are comfortable preparing and giving presentations
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You follow industry trends and new technologies
- You understand and value how you do what you do, as well as what you do
- You have strong collaboration and influencing skills
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- BS/BA or equivalent in Computer Science, Technical Communication, English, or a related field
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.