Drupal Frontend Developer Remote, within the US
Company: Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is looking for a Frontend Drupal Developer with experience in HTML and CSS who is proficient in or wants to learn Drupal theming. Drupal Frontend Developers with Four Kitchens are growing their skills, and passionate about learning best practices. They work collaboratively within close-knit teams of designers and backend developers, to implement new features from established style guides and wireframes.
As a Web Chef, you will first and foremost exemplify our Core Values. You will also exhibit a natural curiosity and a passion for making really cool stuff for the web. We expect our whole team to self-lead and prioritize as distributed team members—your frequent communication and participation in company culture will be key indicators of your engagement at Four Kitchens. Being a constant self-educator is essential, so advanced degrees are not a requirement for this role as we believe that experience and passion are more important.
We’re committed to providing an inclusive workplace and building a diverse team, and that starts with leadership. At our core, we believe deeply in diversity and inclusiveness as being key parts of a healthy team. We aim to create an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work. So, if you look at our team page and don’t see yourself, don’t shy away. Come work with us!
As a Drupal Frontend Developer you will…
- Work within the Drupal theming system to create templates and preprocess functions to implement features using industry best practices.
- Create graphically intensive user interfaces as well as engaging out-of-the-box thinking to create new techniques to visualize data.
- Implement designs using a mobile-first approach to create pleasant, performant experiences on smartphones, tablets, and desktops.
- Create quality mockups and prototypes.
- Leverage frontend style guides and pattern libraries.
- Work with project management to estimate new project opportunities.
- Work closely with clients on project engagements to deliver exceptional code, consulting, and advice.
- Conduct unit testing and/or integration testing
- Ensure good user experience design in all work you produce.
- Passionately keep pace with rapid innovation in web technologies.
- Enthusiasm for open-source philosophy and community involvement.
- Professional, yet personable demeanor. You must be able to represent yourself and Four Kitchens to our clients, other members of your team, and to open-source communities at large.
- Self-manage as a distributed team member, working remotely from both client and team.
You’re our next Drupal Frontend Developer if…
- You are passionate about frontend development and interested in learning the specifics of working with Drupal or WordPress.
- Responsible for implementing top-tier visual and interactive components (with bonus points for having a strong grasp of visual design.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for presentations, demos, client consultations, and ongoing documentation.
- Knowledge of frontend development tools, such as Sass, Bower, Grunt, and/or Gulp.
- Strong understanding of the “mobile-first” approach to frontend development.
- Bachelor's degree. (Experience and passion are more important, and being a constant self-educator is essential. We feel higher education is not directly correlated to your success.)
About Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is a leading digital strategy firm with strong roots in open-source and free-culture communities. We build websites and apps to engage audiences on virtually any device, in our pursuit of setting knowledge free. We hire developers, designers, and strategists with strong consultative skills and a desire to make a difference, both to our clients and to each other.
Our Values and Culture
Our Web Chefs bring more than their professional skills to the kitchen and we encourage everyone to help guide the direction of our company. We all have a strong voice in what we do and how we do it. Collectively, our values—The Way Of the Web Chef—guide how we interact with each other, our colleagues, and our clients. Four Kitchens is not just a company — it's a closely-knit team. We believe in the power of individuals coming together to do something bigger than they could have done alone.
We believe good talent is where you find it and, as a distributed team, we’re excited to be pioneers in what we believe is the future of work culture. Even though we have no physical office, we strive to remain a collaborative community using tools like Slack and Zoom. The Web Chefs span four time zones and our goal is for team members to feel like they are working together in the same room, even if they're thousands of miles apart.
We care for our teammates as people, which is why we have a generous PTO policy, encourage time off, and have a great benefits package. Not only do we strive to maintain a good work-life balance, but we also participate in interesting and creative projects outside of client work to expand our abilities.
We hope you'll join us!
Include the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter. Tell us about which of our Core Values resonates with you the most and why! (applicants who do this receive screening priority)!
- Samples of your recent coding work. Public contributions on GitHub or Drupal.org are a bonus, but any recent work is helpful. We are looking for a code sample that will be a good starting point for a conversation about your experience and development philosophy.
- If the sample you provide is part of a team effort please describe your personal contribution.
- Feel free to redact or obfuscate any client-identifying info.
- If you cannot show us actual code, please be prepared to describe your coding philosophy and standards in detail.
Four Kitchens welcomes applications from all backgrounds, particularly from people of color; women; LGBTQ+ people; immigrants or refugees; people who are differently-abled; and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds. Four Kitchens is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status and policy party affiliation, or on any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.