Drupal Backend Developer United States
Company: Four Kitchens
We are looking for a Drupal Backend Developer contractor to join our team of talented developers, designers, and strategists. The roles include work on backend application development of large scale Drupal websites, architecting elegant solutions to client problems using the right mix of community modules and custom modules, developing new custom and community modules, and migrating content from legacy CMS systems.
This is a contract position. Starting ASAP and working on a project until end of May or possibly later.
- Creating custom modules and plugins, debugging and patching core components, and understanding the source code of the systems you work with.
- Using industry-standard devops workflows and tools: dev-stage-production workflow, source control tools to manage your codebase, etc.
- Developing for multiple devices and interactions: desktops, touch devices like smartphones and tablets, simpler devices like feature phones, etc.
- Working with other members of the team on problems, but also working individually as required by the project.
- Designing and developing code architecture that promotes reuse, readability, and best-practice coding standards.
- Understanding the web's infrastructure to create highly-performant and scalable features.
- Flexible scheduling and working remotely.
- An excellent work environment filled with smart, funny people who love what they do.
- Experience developing for Drupal.
- Comfort on the command line.
- Familiarity with a RDBM, preferably MySQL.
- Experience with modern distributed version control systems (such as Git).
- Conversational knowledge of the underlying technologies and protocols on which the modern web is built. (Domain Models, Networking Technologies and Security Models).
- Professional, yet personable demeanor. You must be able to represent yourself and Four Kitchens to our clients, other members of your team, and to open-source communities at large.
- Enthusiasm for open-source philosophy and community involvement.
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for making really cool stuff for the web.
- Experience building Drupal sites from start to finish.
- Experience with migration from Drupal 6 to 7.
- Experience translating client requests and aspirations into budget-minded Drupal solutions.
- Experience with additional modern programming language (such as Java, Ruby, or Python).
- Expert Level Database experience (preferably MySQL).
- Familiarity with NoSQL Databases like Redis or MongoDB.
- Linux configuration experience.
- Experience with Node.js and/or modern front end frameworks like Backbone or Angular.
- Experience working with large website projects.
- Knowledge of best practices to optimize backend performance.
- Previous work on open-source projects and adhering to coding standards.
- Bachelor's degree or higher. (Why preferred rather than required? Experience and passion are more important, and being a constant self-educator is essential.)
About Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is a leading digital strategy firm with strong roots in the open-source and free-culture communities. We build websites and apps to engage audiences on virtually any device, in our pursuit of setting knowledge free. We hire developers, designers, and strategists with strong consultative skills and a desire to make a difference, both to our clients and to each other.
Our Values and Culture
Our Web Chefs bring more than their professional skills to the kitchen and we encourage everyone to help guide the direction of our company. We all have a strong voice in what we do and how we do it. Collectively, our values—The Way Of the Web Chef—guide how we interact with each other, our colleagues, and our clients. Four Kitchens is not just a company — it's a closely knit team. We believe in the power of individuals coming together to do something bigger than they could have done alone.
We believe good talent is where you find it and, as a distributed team, we’re excited to be pioneers in what we believe is the future of work-culture. Even though we have no physical office, we strive to remain a collaborative community using tools like Slack and Zoom. The Web Chefs span four time zones and our goal is for team members to feel like they are working together in the same room, even if they're thousands of miles apart.
We hope you'll join us!
Include the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter referencing how many hours per week you are available to work and the hourly rate desired. We'd also like some insight into your personality, hobbies, and interests beyond work.
- Drupal.org username.
- Samples of your recent coding work. Public contributions on Github or Drupal.org are a bonus, but any recent work is helpful. We are looking for a code sample that will be a good starting point for a conversation about your experience and development philosophy. If the sample you provide is part of a team effort please describe your personal contribution. Feel free to redact or obfuscate any client-identifying info. If you cannot show us actual code, please be prepared to describe your coding philosophy and standards in detail.
WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY HIRING CANDIDATES OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.