Documentation Manager (Data and Security Products) Oxford, UK
We're looking for a Documentation Manager to help build and support GitHub's team of Data and Security Product Content Writers.
The DSP Documentation Manager will lead DSP writers as they create helpful and highly technical product documentation. They will mentor, coach, and sponsor DSP writers on the Docs Content team, prioritize work across the team, and communicate with teams across the company about the future of GitHub’s data and security products. They will also be well-versed in GitHub's products and processes and will lead and contribute to process and content improvements for the Docs Content team.
The DSP Documentation Manager should be an adept writer, able to provide reviews on the content the DSP content writers create. They must be empathetic as a writer, able to put themselves in the user's position and help solve problems before they're asked.
The Docs Content team is highly distributed and we embrace an environment of asynchronous communication. You'll need strong communication skills and the ability to build working relationships with people in locations around the globe.
If you're a leader with a desire to empower writers of all skill levels to do the best work of their careers, we'd like to hear from you!
- Prioritize and plan the DSP content writing team's work
- Meet 1-1 with team members on a regular basis
- Plan and support career development
- Give guided performance feedback
- Serve as a coach and mentor to DSP Content Writers
- Establish and maintain strong relationships across the GitHub organization
- Keep communication channels open within the GitHub organization
- Collaborate closely with other Docs Content managers on process and team-wide decisions
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong user advocate.
- Empathetic leader with a growth mindset, for themselves and others.
- Ability to compassionately give and receive editorial and technical feedback.
- Strong ability to plan and prioritize complex writing projects across a team with high attention to detail along the way.
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team.
It would be helpful to have:
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Experience working across cross-functional teams with competing priorities
- Experience creating and reviewing technical content
- Experience working collaboratively with a team of writers or editors
Here is an example of what we would expect:
- Month 1, you become well-versed in the collaboration and communication styles of GitHub.
- Month 2, you begin taking ownership of the team’s weekly project board.
- Month 3, you are leading discussions with the DSP writers and Engineering/Product/Design (EPD) squads around documentation approach for new features.
- Month 4, you own the DSP docs team’s roadmap and decision-making around priorities.
- Months 5–6, you are fully integrated into your new role, consistently coaching and sponsoring the DSP writers, prioritizing incoming work for the team in collaboration with product managers, and contributing to Docs team discussions on process and priority.
These are just examples of the milestones you can expect to hit in your first six months at GitHub. You will work closely with the Docs Content Team manager to define and adjust goals as you integrate into the team.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/github/jobs/2383401