Director of Technical Accounting & Reporting Worldwide
Director of Technical Accounting & Reporting
At Automattic, we are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, and Jetpack, and many more. We believe in making the web a better place. We’re a distributed company with 1,600+ Automatticians in 85+ countries speaking 106+ languages. Our shared goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We’re looking for an outstanding Director of Technical Accounting & Reporting to join one of the most unique accounting groups in the world. You will lead a significant part of Automattic’s accounting team to navigate the wide range of issues involved in building Automattic’s global business.
The Director of Technical Accounting & Reporting will have overall responsibility for:
- US GAAP financial reporting, including the annual audit report, quarterly debt compliance, and monthly GAAP reporting (CF Statement, Equity, IS, Bal Sheet, Comp Income)
- Accounting policies which include revenue recognition, share-based compensation, purchase accounting, lease accounting, internal-use software, etc.
- Playing an integral part in M&A by participating in due diligence, completing ASC 805 purchase accounting and the fair value of acquired assets and liabilities, partnering with 3rd party valuation specialists and collaborating with relevant teams within Automattic to understand relevant aspects of the acquisition
- Drafting technical accounting memos for relevant material transactions
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have a CPA or equivalent license and have at least five years of experience working on U.S. GAAP projects such as revenue recognition (ASC 605/606), share-based compensation, lease accounting, purchase accounting, etc.
- Big 4 public accounting background.
- You have worked within a software as a service (SaaS) or other subscription businesses.
- You love reviewing complex transactions and scouring new and existing accounting literature on GAAP. The thought of preparing technical memos to document and support your conclusions is what gets you out of bed in the morning.
- You enjoy collaborating with other departments to provide guidance on technical accounting matters that impact the financial aspects of the company.
- You are excited by the prospect of owning the integrity of the Company’s external financial reporting and preparing quarter-end data and other support information including the statement of cash flows.
- You have an overall understanding of and experience in the application of GAAP and SEC financial reporting requirements including financial statements and financial statement footnotes.
- You are a team-oriented professional with a “roll-up-your-sleeves” mindset, who promotes a collaborative team effort and celebrates team successes.
- You love a dynamic, fast-growing environment.
- You have excellent verbal and written skills in English.
If you have experience with WordPress, software development, coding, open source, or other relevant areas, don’t forget to mention it. Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. You will need to attach a cover letter and résumé. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so make your application stand out.
If you're reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.
To increase your chances of standing out, please answer the following:
- In one sentence, how would you describe Automattic’s business model to someone who isn’t familiar with the company?
- Tell us about an accounting problem you enjoyed working on recently. Why did you like it?
We’re a distributed company with more than 1800 Automatticians in 97 countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.