Director of Product Management Worldwide
Company: Wikimedia Foundation
DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT MANAGEMENT
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced and collaborative Director of Product Management to structure our content across Wikimedia products, unlocking a new class of functionality. This position also includes leading the Search team in developing Search functionality across Wikimedia Foundation products.
This role is responsible for unlocking product value by making our content machine readable, adding metadata, and linking concepts across languages and projects. It addresses creating structure from a Wiki Page, including breaking that content into meaningful parts for repurposing in various use cases. It also involves utilizing structured linked open data systems such as Wikidata or topical ontologies as connective tissue across Wikimedia products.
The Wikimedia Foundation values diversity and recognizes that employees from a broad range of perspectives is essential to creating a knowledge source that benefits everyone. We are committed to inclusion, diversifying tech, and advocating for diversity in our employees, their experiences, and the people we serve.
Our teams build products that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Directors of Product Management support their Product Manager teams and work with researchers, engineers, product managers and designers to set strategic direction. This is an opportunity to ‘do good’ while having a high level of impact at a large-scale media property.
You will be responsible for:
- Setting the vision and product direction for Structured Data, pulling together disparate projects to form a cohesive vision and program, working closely with engineering and architecture teams
- Ensuring the Structured Data program delivers incremental but clear value to our end users
- Building relationships, leading planning, alignment and collaboration in developing product roadmaps regarding Wikidata with our affiliate in Germany
- Participating in writing grant reports to grantors who fund Structured Data projects at WMF
- Aligning with product, technology, analytics and research teams on use cases for structured data
- Guiding the Search Platform team for both Wikidata Query service as well as Search across Wikimedia Foundation projects
- Managing and mentoring a team of Product Managers focused on Structured Data and Search
- Defining and tracking key performance metrics for product initiatives and connecting these metrics to overall Foundation goals
- Managing communications for your area among the product teams and the broader cross-functional organization to ensure stakeholder alignment
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or the equivalent in relevant work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in Product Management
- Experience developing a Structured Data ecosystem including structured content, knowledge graphs and taxonomies
- Experience with Search Platforms
- Robust analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills with the ability to deliver on detail as well as strategy
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively and develop effective working relationships with all levels of management, staff and communities, including non-technical staff
- Capable of managing a diverse range of responsibilities in a dynamic and results-oriented environment. Must be comfortable with evolving requirements and priorities.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Have excellent relationship building and persuasion skills
- Alignment with our mission and values
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Natural inclination for team collaboration and for helping colleagues succeed
Additionally, we would love it if you have:
- Experience editing Wikipedia or with the Wikipedia, Wikidata, or Wikimedia Commons communities or other collaborative enterprises
- Open source software development experience
- Familiarity with MediaWiki
- Familiarity with GraphQL, SPARQL and graph databases
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/2385284