Director of Engineering, Cloud Platform Engineering Remote (US or Canada) /
Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people use 1Password to protect their most important information, and we believe those people – and the companies they work for – shouldn’t have to choose between security and productivity. We see security as a human challenge, rather than a technological one. It’s hard work, but our mission has always been to ease the tension between security and convenience and help people navigate the digital world without fear or friction. Human-centric security is part of our DNA, but human-centricity is also the backbone of our culture. We encourage big ideas and new ways of working that help us to make the online world a safer place for everyone.
The Cloud Platform Engineering group focuses on building tools used by development teams for critical functions: interacting with datastores, queues, monitoring/observability, inter-service communication, etc.. We make it possible for other teams to build scalable, reliable, and performant services by providing APIs, libraries, tools and guidance that makes it easy for products to interface with the infrastructure. In this role, you will be responsible for the underlying back-end development strategy and delivery, including how all other engineering teams will be interacting with the infrastructure. Your customers would be the hundreds of engineers, operations and security folk within the company.
This is a remote opportunity within Canada and the US. You will be expected to be fully remote, ideally in the Eastern Time Zone.
What we're looking for:
- Experience leading large teams of managers and software engineers (30+).
- A passion for building diverse, inclusive, and collaborative teams, with experience hiring at all levels, including managers and highly technical senior ICs, as well as providing mentorship to leaders across both career tracks.
- Over 5 years of experience managing engineers, including at least 3 years of managing managers.
- Experience managing multiple engineering teams, as well as delivering projects that span multiple teams.
- Able to effectively work with, collaborate, and negotiate with peers in Engineering as well as those in other orgs.
- Able to influence and drive conversations with multiple stakeholders, ensuring alignment and understanding across many levels of the company.
- Experience as a hands-on software engineer building resilient and reliable software, such that you'll be able to participate in technical discussions and understand the work that is going on in your team. Use these experiences to empower the team to make tough technical decisions themselves.
- Experience building frameworks or services that other development teams can leverage.
- Experience building and maintaining large-scale SaaS products, with a focus on scalability, performance, and reliability.
- An excellent set of written and oral communication skills, able to drive discussions with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- An ability to describe projects that you or the team is working on with confidence and depth of understanding, becoming a spokesperson for the team within the company and outside as well.
- An ability to operate autonomously, effectively prioritize projects and information, and make good judgment calls. Have a demonstrated ability to scope and lead complex multi-team initiatives.
Bonus points for:
- Experience working with, or ideally managing, teams in multiple geographies.
- Experience with compliance such as SOC2, as well as regulatory requirements such as the GDPR.
- Experience building infrastructure services for a large team on top of AWS.
What you can expect:
- Support and set strategic direction for a set of teams that build software that helps deliver on our company's mission.
- Work with the Engineering team as well as senior leaders in Tech to drive alignment and be responsible for the results of the teams in support of broader company objectives.
- Collaborate with senior individual contributors to create an engaging technical vision for the teams, balancing the needs of future enhancements and maintenance of existing solutions.
- Work with cross-functional partners to define the best solutions for millions of customers.
- Resolve dependencies and contention with other engineering teams to deliver the highest priority projects.
- Grow technical contributors and managers to reach their potential.
- Recruit and retain top tier talent in a fast growing environment.
Even if you don't tick all those boxes, we'd like to hear from you.
The most important thing you can bring to this job is the drive to dive in, get the work done, and fix root causes instead of treating symptoms. We believe in continuous learning and support professional development on the job with a budget to back it up. If you bring a desire to do the right thing for our customers, a sense of ownership over the product you work on, and a focus on shipping quality code, we want to hear from you.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Complimentary Headspace membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at email@example.com and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [firstname.lastname@example.org].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [email@example.com] or through 1Password Support.