Director of Engineering - Billing Platform (M5 - Regional) United States
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly and seeking a Director of Engineering to lead, manage and grow our Billing Platform.
This platform is central to Twilio’s core business and is responsible for services to process all billing events and provides financial services for the company. The Billing Platform organization works toward building a platform for the future which hides the complexity that comes from complex distributed financial systems. The successful candidate will need tremendous technical depth and managerial chops to support our broad customer base, rapid growth rate, and scale we’re currently operating at. This role will lead multiple teams and initiatives to help us continue to evolve the platform.
- Seasoned Engineering Leader - You have a track record of leading scalable distributed systems engineering in software companies. You have a deep technical background building, scalable systems software. You are passionate about architecture, efficient engineering execution, and delivering operational excellence.
- 10+ years of experience in engineering, at least 7 years of management experience and 2+ years of managing managers.
- BS/MS/PhD degree in Computer Science.
- A strong analytical and quantitative background. You are highly data driven in decision making and understand what makes good input and output metrics and the mechanisms to support them. You focus on quality through metrics-based defect tracking and take pride in delivery.
- A genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into nuts-and-bolts of how things work. Ensure successful definition, architecture, design, implementation and timely delivery of the software platform.
- Be able to operate in a fast paced environment. Define structure, processes, and improve the maturity of engineering execution.
- You care deeply about creating teams that model psychological safety and inclusivity, where engineers can do their best work. Foster an inclusive environment, where all points of view are welcomed and encouraged.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent. You are able to articulate the “why” for a team’s priorities and the customer impact.
- Experience with platform development or billing/payments software is a plus.
As a Director, Engineering - Billing Platform, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER: Instill our values, behaviors and standard methodologies throughout the organization to grow the capabilities of our engineering teams.
- NO SHENANIGANS: You always act in an honest, direct and transparent way and uphold our values.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Evaluate opportunities, risk and technical strategies and provide key findings to internal partners.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: It is key for you to understand, document and define risks that drive enhance the organization's ability to prioritize while informing the business of these priorities.
- BE BOLD: Every big idea starts small, opens up boundaries and keeps raising the bar as solving small problems can bring big results. Never settle and keep pushing yourself and the teams forward.
- BE INCLUSIVE: Coach, mentor and inspire engineering teams by building and ensuring a safe and inclusive environment where all voices can be heard.
- DRAW THE OWL: Influence teams to continuously be improving while supporting progressive ways to solve problems; adopt new technologies and strategies where applicable.
- DON’T SETTLE: Always look for the next opportunity for Twilio to improve our delivery capabilities
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Curate, lead and grow a team of passionate engineers. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Deliver engineering plans and architecture for a pricing platform to globally and locally support static and dynamic pricing that is self-service for Sales and Product teams.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Denver office or fully remote. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
$170,000 - $240,000
Rest of Colorado:
$160,000 - $220,000
Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3565423