Director of Communications, WooCommerce Worldwide
About the Role:
The Director of Communications is a recognized leader and passionate storyteller. You will significantly increase our share of voice and positive sentiment, and position us as a leader in all our target categories. You’re an experienced communications professional who can think both tactically and strategically and is comfortable working with cross-functional teams – often in different cities, countries and time zones. You’re excited to demonstrate success by measuring share of voice, aided and unaided awareness and other important metrics you deem essential.
Reporting to the VP of Creative and Communications, the Director of Communications for WooCommerce will build and be responsible for a comprehensive communications strategy for WooCommerce as the leading open source commerce solution.
When it comes to WooCommerce’s PR, you lead the way, you craft the story, and you have final sign-off.
- Lead in crafting a 360-degree communications and public relations strategy for WooCommerce.
- Build out a thought leadership agenda using the company’s brand position and executive voice to drive coverage and category leadership.
- Build, lead, and implement broad communications strategies to engage and expand target audiences, and demonstrate outcomes and impacts of our programs.
- Develop and implement clear consistent messaging for WooCommerce.
- Write all external communications, including press releases, announcements and thought leadership content, and develop a distribution strategy.
- Develop strong relationships with target media.
- Consistently contact and communicate with target media to secure coverage of key WooCommerce events and narratives.
- Track media stories of significant interest to WooCommerce, address opportunities for public comment and address outdated and/or erroneous perceptions of WooCommerce.
- Provide crisis management leadership through processes and direct engagement.
- Work closely with WooCommerce leadership and Automatticians to develop spokespeople in key areas and provide continued support through media training, mentoring and byline support.
- Source and implement PR infrastructure and tools.
- Drive opportunities to create room to collaborate across Automattic’s brands.
- 7+ years of formal communications and/or PR leadership experience providing strategy to high-growth technology businesses.
- An outstanding track record developing and implementing communications strategies that have consistently met or exceed planned objectives, and materially contributed to top line growth goals in a very hands-on manner.
- Excellent executive-level written and interpersonal skills both with external media and internally.
- Proven experience working with industry voices to build narratives.
- A track record of delivering infrastructure and tooling to measure the impact of communications against targets.
- Experience-based knowledge of the tech industry media landscape, including existing media relationships.
- Experience with commerce and/or open source environments is a plus.
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.