Director of Commercial Systems Engineering Worldwide
Canonical, a global software company that delivers open infrastructure - Ubuntu, OpenStack, Kubernetes and IoT device management capabilities - is hiring a director of engineering responsible for business systems and SAAS. This role reports to the CEO and is accountable for systems of record that are central to operations.
The role will appeal to an experienced engineering lead with both technical and commercial aptitude and interests.
Candidates must be graduates in Computer Science or Information Systems, with proven experience designing, implementing and leading commercial systems. The role requires confident leadership of project managers, engineering managers and contract specialists working on both home-grown systems and diverse SAAS integration.
Canonical builds on open source platforms by preference and aspects of this work may themselves become open source projects. Awareness of best practices for open source community and commercial software development are a requirement.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Engineering and operational insights in complex distributed systems development, integration and operations
- Confidence with open source devops platforms such as Ubuntu, Python, Flask, Kubernetes
- Confidence with REST, gRPC, SAML, OATH and other integration mechanisms
- Familiarity with SalesForce or Dynamics and a range of other SAAS environments
- Familiarity with public cloud operations on AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Organizational, communications and budget ownership skill
- Commercial awareness in negotiation as well as systems design and evaluation
- Leadership in a distributed working environment
The company expects leaders to gather quarterly on a global basis, which implies intercontinental travel regardless of work location. In addition, this team will be distributed, and many partnerships or suppliers will be global rather than local providers, requiring additional travel.
Candidates in European time zones will likely find it easier to manage this global responsibility, but the position is open to candidates on a worldwide basis. As a distributed company by design Canonical is comfortable with home office based leadership and sophisticated in its use of technology for distributed teamwork and meetings. Canonical has offices in Austin, Beijing, Boston, London, and Taipei and can provide office space for this role at any of those locations, but office participation is not a requirement.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1006837