Director and Managing Counsel, Commercial United States
Location: Remote- US
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is looking for an experienced Managing Counsel to lead Twilio’s commercial legal team supporting the following vertical markets: Public Sector, Healthcare / Life Sciences, and Financial Services. This role can be located anywhere in the United States.
You are a talented and creative attorney who is passionate about working on sophisticated contracts, while at the same time growing and managing a team of superstars. This job is for you if you enjoy a fast-paced environment and love giving high-fives (virtual ones) when a deal closes. You have supported large enterprise sales organizations before and enjoy understanding the business drivers behind a particular deal. You must have a zealous attention to detail, excellent judgment and writing skills, and be customer support focused when dealing with internal clients and external customers.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer.
- 8+ years of legal experience, with at least 5+ years negotiating complex technology transactions (e.g., XAAS).
- 2+ years managing a small to mid-sized team of direct reports (at least a team of 2 reports).
- Ability to act as a “Player / Coach,” who is able to both negotiate complex transactions and manage/mentor a team of lawyers and contract professionals.
- Extensive experience with government contracting and associated regulatory issues, specifically within the FAR, DFARS, and SLED contracting frameworks.
- Experience supporting a large sales organization selling to both a Public Sector and enterprise customer base (e.g., F500, G2000). Preferred experience supporting Healthcare and Financial Services accounts.
- Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, including Master Services Agreements, Professional Services Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
- Partner with other internal teams within Twilio (e.g., Deal Desk, Sales Operations) to drive overall legal strategy for Twilio’s public sector business, including the ability to provide specific guidance related to public sector compliance and contracting.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach.
- Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
In this role you will be expected to exercise excellent business judgment to seek solutions while managing legal and financial risks, coordinating issue resolution and employing creative problem-solving.
- BE AN OWNER: Manage and mentor an existing team of commercial lawyers and contract professionals. Take ownership of the drafting, review, negotiation, and management of a wide range of legal agreements. Advise Twilio’s internal clients on contract interpretation and negotiation. Champion Twilio’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring Twilio’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws and regulations, and are in line with Twilio’s values.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Seek to understand the context of the positions of Twilio’s customers and the requests from Twilio’s internal clients. Strive to solve problems and address issues from their perspectives.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard commercial templates. Create processes and procedures to help support a rapidly-growing, global business.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Partner with Sales leadership to ensure the commercial legal team is working on the right deals at the right time.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Train and mentor the commercial legal team on negotiation strategy and substantive legal skills.
Twilio’s legal team prides itself on the trust it has built across the business through consistently providing practical and sound legal advice. Your unique skill set and experience are critical to help support our thriving and growing business and reinforce the trust and partnership we have cultivated with teams across the company.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
We employ diverse talent from all over the world and we believe great work can be done anywhere. For this role, you are supporting a sales team that is spread around the United States, so you can be located anywhere in the US. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well-being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Twilio's reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation for this role if hired in Colorado. Please note that this information is provided for those hired in Colorado only, and this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado as well.
Salary Range: 177,024- 243,408
Rest of Colorado:
Salary Range: 165,960 - 207,450
Sales Commission: Additionally, this role is eligible to earn commissions and eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
Non Sales: Additionally, this role is eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan.
An overview of Twilio’s benefits offered is listed below:
Twilio is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides support needed for you and your loved ones. It’s likely that you don’t think about benefits every day; however, they are an important component of your total compensation, and we want you to understand the options available to you so that you can make the most of your benefit dollars. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits, which Twilio reserves the right to modify at any time for any reason in accordance with applicable law:
Healthcare Insurance and Leave
- Prescription Drug
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
- Leave programs for all of life’s moments: maternity, parental/bonding, as well medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with a match
Reimbursement Programs & Stipends
- $65 per month work-from-home stipend
- Up to $50 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Up to $30 per month to use towards books/eBooks
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/twilio/jobs/3010736