Developer Evangelist (Community Engagement) Worldwide
GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Developer Evangelism team is responsible for community engagement with the GitLab community and the tech community at large as it relates to GitLab. A Developer Evangelist with a Community Engagement specialty owns that engagement. This includes responding to questions about GitLab on Hacker News, engaging with the GitLab community on Stack Overflow, managing the GitLab Forum, and providing insight and guidance to GitLab's marketing and product teams on the community impact of changes when we are making to our product and business.
As a Developer Evangelist focused on community engagement, you will help us fulfill our mission by connecting with other developers, contributing to open source, and sharing your knowledge and experience about GitLab and other leading technologies at conferences and meetups, in contributed articles, and on blogs, podcasts, and social media. Your work will foster a community inspired by GitLab and will drive our strategy around developer love and GitLab’s participation in the open source ecosystem.
We focus on generating awareness about GitLab by rolling up our sleeves, contributing to the ecosystem, and enabling others to become evangelists outside the company as well. Not afraid to be hands-on, you might write sample code, author client libraries, provide insights to journalists, and work with strategic GitLab partners such as GitLab Heroes, users, and customers to excite and engage our developer communities.
What you'll do in this role
- Provide thoughtful responses to community member questions on online forums monitored by GitLab's Developer Evangelist team including Hacker News, StackOverflow, GitLab's blog and the GitLab Forum. This involves cross-team collaboration including encouraging other team members to engage with the community and providing feedback to product and engineering teams.
- Lead the Developer Evangelist team's support of community response situations. This includes:
- Manage responsibilities and tasks associated with product and/or business changes that impact the community
- Ensure messaging about these changes addresses community concerns
- Create community FAQs for impactful changes
- Prepare the Developer Evangelist team and other relevant team members per the community response process to address community questions on Hackers News and other forums
- Lead the conversation around the latest technology advancements and best practices in the developer community
- Create engaging content, including technical talks, blog posts, demos, and videos, that educates developers on important technologies and trends
- Support GitLab's product and engineering efforts by sharing what you learn while engaging with the wider GitLab community and the tech community, at large
- Conduct interviews with media via phone, podcasts, video, and in-person
- Contribute to relevant open source projects, foundations, and TAGs in order to give GitLab visibility and share our experience and insights to developments in our areas of interest
- Be a leader within GitLab and in the wider community
We're looking for
- Experience building software and contributing to open source in the cloud computing ecosystem
- At least 1 year of experience giving talks and developing demos, workshops, webinars, videos, and other technical content
- Meaningful social presence with engaged followers
- Ability to manage the fast moving conference schedule with its CFP deadlines and show dates
- Self-directed and work with minimal supervision
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills with the ability to translate complex technology concepts into simple and intuitive communications
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time
- You share our values and work in accordance with those values
- Be a natural communicator and enjoy using those skills to help others
- Comfortable communicating with people via public forums, in line with GitLab's transparency value
- Ability to inspire team members across GitLab to engage with directly with members of the wider GitLab community
- Experience managing or participating in online communities
- Experience engaging with online technical communities is a plus
- Ability to use GitLab
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/gitlab/jobs/5372369002