Developer Advocate, MAAS - North America or Europe, home based › North America or Europe, home based
This is a remote (work from home) role. We are looking for candidates based in North America and Europe.
The MAAS engineering team at Canonical is looking for a talented, technology-oriented communicator to join a globally-distributed team focused on delivering the best tool for operating scale out software on today’s cloud & hardware infrastructure.
Our Developer Advocate will be responsible for delivering all of the the product's technical documentation (both internally and customer facing), interact with the user and developer community of MAAS, assist end users with their technical problems and engage directly with the engineering team on a day-to-day basis. Creating documentation requires more than just written language skills; this position will challenge applicants to be creative problem-solvers, shrewd time-managers and to be able to work equally effectively on their own or in collaboration with others.
As a developer advocate in the MAAS team, you will have broad impact and responsibility for quality of the end user experience with MAAS and the long-term success of the project; this position will challenge applicants to be creative problem-solvers, shrewd time-managers and to be able to work equally effectively on their own or in collaboration with others.
You will work in a distributed team and travel internationally 4 to 6 times per year for engineering sprints, industry evens, and strategic planning sessions, generally for 1 week at a time. Recent locations include: Montreal, Malta, South Africa, Berlin, Ghent, Brussels, Vancouver, Salt Lake City, New York City.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Become an expert in using MAAS with a deep understanding of the various features that MAAS offers.
- Engage with the MAAS community through various means, including maas.io, IRC, Twitter, industry events, and others.
- Create documentation for experienced technical users as well as those who may be new to administering cloud & virtualized platforms. Documentation consists of installation and upgrade guides, system administration guides, release notes, technical papers, tutorials and knowledge-base articles.
- Collaborate with software developers, product managers, other writers, information architects, quality assurance engineers, and technical support engineers to develop documentation.
- Read design documents and specifications, install and use pre-release software.
- Create documentation designs, plans, and schedules.
- Create and maintain automation scripts or infrastructure to generate and publish documentation.
- Curate existing documentation, performing periodic reviews, triage user feedback/bug reports and determine priorities for remedial work.
Requires skills and experience
- BS/BA or equivalent in Technical Communication, English, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent experience, with 5+ years of experience writing documentation for a technical audience.
- Ability to rapidly assimilate technical information from a variety of sources.
- Must be flexible and enjoy working with new technology in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have experience installing, configuring and using Linux technologies (including via the UNIX/Linux command line).
- Must have experience with scripting languages (python, shell, etc) and integrating documentation technologies into code bases.
- Experience of working effectively as part of a distributed team.
- Confidence in using Ubuntu as a desktop computing platform for all of the above.
Desired skills and experience
- Knowledge of HTML, Markdown and other documentation technologies.
- Knowledge of video creation and production.
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure.
- Familiarity with GitHub, Launchpad and other code repositories and collaboration tools.
- Experience working with several Linux cloud technologies (e.g. OpenStack, KVM, kubernetes, etc) and server technologies (apache2, squid, bind, etc) a plus.
- Experience working with Canonical products a plus (Juju, LXD, MAAS, etc).
- Understanding of Linux networking, storage and administration a plus.
- Additional language skills.
Vacancy page : https://boards.greenhouse.io/canonical/jobs/1535303